Author Topic: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172  (Read 14825 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
Hi All,

Well to accompany the Do-27, I thought I would have a go at the Dornier D0-28 Skyservant. My kit is the original Matchbox moulding in three colours and a clear sprue. I know this has been re-released by Revell, with new markings, but this one was a cheap purchase less than half the price of the Revell issue.

I have attached some pictures of the main parts/sprues before I get stuck in, in earnest.

Bigkev 

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

Re: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »
Hey! You wont need to paint it!!!! ;)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
Hi All,

Though it seems a nice idea, this model will be painted. The three colour sprues were Matchbox's attempt to make it more appealing to younger modellers, a nice notion, but for a serious modeller a hindrance rather than an aid.

Anyway I decide to do a test dry fit to see potential issues in the build. As with most Matchbox kits there are simplified pieces, though quite accurate dimensionally.
The engine pods were assembled, but I already knew that they will need some filling and tidying up to make good, in particular the intakes and exhausts which are more or less non-existent.
Also identified was the numerous sink marks in the mouldings that need correction, these can be seen in the attached photo's as black marker pen marks, a good way the highlight area's for correction.
The tailplanes are shown as 'ribbed' with only a trim tab moulded on them. However my information suggests that they were metal stressed skin, and of variable incidence, therefore some work needed to correct them and some re-scribing of these and the main wings too.
The cockpit/fuselage interior though simple, once dressed up with a few details looks promising enough to pass muster.
The wings have been assembled, but the slats need a little work to blend them in better to the upper surface, and as already noted some re-scribing. One particular omission is the landing light on the Starboard outer wing, this I intend to modify and a new light cover moulded from acetate.

Bigkev 

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »
I picked up the Revell version dead cheap in a Modelzone sale a few years back so I'll be watching your build for tips.  That's assuming I ever get chance to do any modelling again...."Yes, DCOS, I'll be right there!..." (sighs).

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »
Hi Wizzel,

If you need any advice from my build, just ask if I don't explain enough. Its a learning curve for me too with this one.

Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:24:38 AM »
I always find your builds interesting, and there is always something that I can take away with me...thank you.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry, have been busy at work, etc. but I have made a little more progress with the build. I have cut out the light fairing on the right (starboard wing) and have faced it with plasticard. I intend to add a micro lens, to act as landing light with a vac-form cover before end of build.

Cut out light area with a razor saw then 'faced' the edges with thin plasticard.

Also have done work on seats, interior, and seat belts. photo's of these will follow next time. Until then here's the wing landing light.

Cheers,
Bigkev 

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
Nice to see you back to modelling.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »
Thanks Zak,

Nice to get something going albeit slowly at moment.

Anyway I have done some work on interior and seats. Very little will be seen but it is nice to know its there.
The seats have been trimmed slightly to remove seating block at base of seat and raised slightly with aid of scrap under seat. Harnesses and belts added from metal foil from a bottle of Cava, then bent folded to appear more lifelike added to seat painted and then slightly weathered to simulate folds, metal fixings. Instrument panel painted in various colours from black to white, green, blue, yellow, red. Again a suggestion rather than implicit detail is what I am after.

Interior painted medium grey, with a few additional ribbing sections added.

Ready to be buttoned up now.

Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »
Coming along nicely

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »
Hi All,

Well some more progress made in this build. The fuselage has been glued together and the joints attended to. There was quite a step on the fuselage top along wing fairing, so a little bit of work needed. I use 'Green Stuff' which is applied to the joint sanded back and more added if necessary, this sanded back again. Then I apply 'Mr Surfacer 500' with a small brush to fill any minor flaws, this is sanded back with vey fine sanding cloths about 4000/6000 grade with leaves a nice glass like finish. Time consuming but worth it in my opinion.

I have also opened up the exhaust and intakes on the engine pods, the exhausts having a small length of tube inserted for the actual pipes. The undercarriage themselves are intended to be built with the wheels inserted before gluing together, so I decided to remove a slice of the wheel so that the wheel can be inserted at the end of build. The canopy was dipped in 'Kleer' a couple of times allowing to dry between dunks, the result a much clearer canopy.

Once dried the glazing was added to the fuselage, with thick superglue in very small amounts, then liquid poly added the fix into place. The glazing was masked with Tamiya tape in thin strips leaving the framing uncovered, any gaps were addressed with 'Rocket Water Based Filler'. This is applied as a filler to the joints needed then whilst still wet, using a damp cotton bud or  wet Mk.1 finger smoothed out, and excess removed. Once dry sanded with the same fine sanding cloths.   

I had decided not to add the cabin windows so I decided to glaze them with Clearfix at the end of the build, but as to protect the interior these were filled with PVA glue in the following manner. A thin bead of PVA was added to the window edge on a cocktail stick the using a cocktail stick then a coffee stirrer stick cut down to just under the window dimensions and made to a chisel end was dipped into the PVA and the glue drawn across the opening, capillary effect the creates a skin of glue in the opening. Once all four were done on the side the fuselage was turned over so that gravity could work on the 'skin' and help it to be flush with the kit fuselage. The other side will be done in same manner.

Next will be to do some work on the landing light before the wings are attached, and the fuselage given a quick blast of Mr Surfacer 1500 grade via aerosol to check for any unspotted flaws before wings added.

Some pictures to show the above:-

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
Few more pictures..........

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
Beautiful and painstaking work.
I wish I had your patience.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 07:12:30 AM »
Cheers Zak,

Still plodding away, but I can see then a finish line................................in the distance!!

Bigkev

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 11:05:36 AM »
I can't even see the start line with my models !
MSea