Author Topic: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172  (Read 14671 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 08:20:21 AM »
Thanks Msea,

But that's not exactly true, you always have a final destination/look in mind.

Anyway a bit more progress with this one.

The windows have been 'filled' with PVA to prevent paint etc. getting in. You can see the film covering openings now it has dried. It will be removed at end of project and replaced with some 'Clearfiix' or 'Kristel Kleer' for a clearer look.
Also I have sprayed Mr Surfacer 1000 on fuselage to identify any areas needing attention, and a small section on canopy needed a little filler which has been applied. Also some additional Tamiya tape where existing one showed signs of lifting.
The undercarriage legs have been attached to the pods and some filler was required to make good, seen here prior to sanding.
Note I have used a wooden spar to aid painting, the Skyservant due to its unique layout means that the wings will need to be attached first, then the colour scheme, including pods applied, then the pods will be attached and any remedial paint touching up done on the joints. You can see I tried to put some wooden spars into the Undercarriage/Engine pods but was not successful.
The wing light has had a Balsa master made and this will be sealed with Dope and talcum powder sanded smooth and a new acetate cover moulded from it. Wings will be attached to fuselage next.

Pictures to explain attached. 

Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 08:23:18 AM »
A few more pictures

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »
Hi All,

Well a little more progress has been made. The wings are attached and resulting gaps filled with Green Stuff, Thin Superglue and finally some Mr Surfacer 500. Then sanded carefully to what you see in the pictures. Also I added the flap actuator fairings to the wing undersides (6 in total) which do not appear in the kit. These were scratch built from suitably shaped bits of plastic card, and attached. Some of the previous grey coat was removed in the sanding process. This was easily remedied when an overall coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 from a rattle can was sprayed on.
I shall leave it to harden for at least 24 hours, before the paint scheme is started.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
Just a note. The grey Mr Surfacer looks very shiny and wet. It was at time picture was taken, but as I write it is now a smooth even satin surface requiring a light polishing in about 24 hours time. 

Its amazing how good this stuff is............

Bigkev

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
Thanks again for the detailed explanation, backed with some good pictures.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
Here we go, a little more progress............

The Mr Surfacer has dried nicely and I have taken opportunity to add some fine wire to the inside of the light area to act as a 'ledge' for the future vac form glazing I need to make yet.

The whole airframe was now rubbed over with a 6000 grade polishing cloth, which smoothed out any small blemishes. The 'eagle-eyed' amongst you will notice (or perhaps not) the small blemishes on the wingtip, these will be dealt with before the camouflage scheme is applied.

Out with the airbrush and Revell Gloss Black was sprayed onto the propeller bosses in thin coats to provide a high gloss finish in preparation for the Alclad II 'Chrome' later in the build.
Also whilst out the airbrush was cleaned out and re-loaded with Tamiya Matt White XF-2 which was applied to the Rudder and wingtips as a  base for the Day-Glo area's to be applied here.

That's it for now......

Bigkev

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:43:13 PM by Bigkev »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
It's coming along nicely.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »
Wowza Kev, I don`t know how you do it!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 08:33:48 AM »
Hi All,

A little more progress. The Day-glo Orange has been applied to the wing tips, being masked before hand.

it took about three light coats to get an nice even coverage, this was allowed to dry 24 hours between each coat, and lightly rubbed between each coat with Micro Mesh 6000 grade.

These areas when finished were again masked in preparation for the other airframe colours, using tape and paper masks again.

Finally the propeller bosses were given three thin coats of Alclad II 'Chrome' which left a nice finish to these.

Some pictures follow:-
Bigkev 

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
I am amazed at the amount of effort that needs to go in to produce models of this standard!  I thought I was getting the hang of being patient but it's clear I have a little way to go yet.  Kev, I'm learning so much from these builds.  Keep them coming.     

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »
Yes, patience is the key, unfortunately it is one thing that I am a little short on.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
You clearly demonstrate that to achieve the results that you do, modelling is far more painstaking than I think I am willing to be.....if you understand that!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 06:36:31 AM »
Thanks lads,

Your comments are very welcome. Speed is not my forte, but I aim to finish this for Christmas, so I can start on a new project for the New Year.

Hope to get undersides painted next, prior to upper surface camouflage.

Bigkev 

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
If we don't go we can always come back!!

Kiteman

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
I am going to cheat the railways...I am going to buy a return ticket and not come back!!