Author Topic: Bigkev's Work in Progress 3 - XB-70 Valkyrie  (Read 6530 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bigkev's Work in Progress 3 - XB-70 Valkyrie
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »
Hi All,

Well now the dust has settled from my last project, its time to start the next.

I am going to make another Anigrand Resin kit, this time a Rockwell XB-70 Valkyrie again in 1/144th.

This is a big aircraft even in 1/144th. The kit looks quite easy to assemble (famous last words?) and has a choice of canopies and a very nice decal(transfer) sheet.

Moulded in pale yellow resin and clear resin for canopies. Kit shows much better panel lines than the Beriev ( Progress 1), being sharp, and not too deep. The wings are butt joining along the centre line so a possible weak spot, so I have drilled holes along the mating edges, inserted some brass tube to give rigidity and to aid alignment

Thats it for now,

Have attached some pics, so you can see kit contents, and work on Brass tubes so far.

Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:13:40 AM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkev's Work in Progress 3
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
Okay, its hands up time!

I've made a blob with the description. Its not a 'Rockwell' XB-70 Valkyrie,  it should have said.........................

NORTH AMERICAN XB-70 VALKYRIE,

sorry to all those who looked and said he's wrong!

On with the build,

Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:21 AM »
 ;)
You certainly love a challenge.
Get sticking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
Hi All,

Well, all that work on the wings paid off. The brass tubes helped a lot to get everything lined up nicely, and even though there is a gap underneath the wing join, this didn't matter as the tubes gave added strength. Also this area will be hidden when the main engine body is attached.

The apex of the wing was not properly formed so using my old favourite resin filler of Superglue and talc, I rebuilt it over several applications and using accelerator to harden things off quickly.
Then it was a quick sand with sanding sticks and wet n dry to reshape. I got a nice sharp defined point 1st time around. I have done a photo, but it didn't come as clear as I would have liked.

The main engine body needed several repairs to the intake area, from pitts and holes in the surface to a moulding discrepancy on the intake trunking. This was rectified with plastic card cut to shape and sanded to near correct thickness before glueing inplace. Again Talc and superglue was used to act as filler, before sanding down to smooth everthing out.

Talc and superglue is a great filler because it is hard when dry, yet sands really smooth and easily.

Next job will be to paint the rear of the intake either Black or very dark grey before attaching it to the wing. Thats the next installment...................

Bigkev  ;)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:19:40 PM by Bigkev »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
Hi All,

well now you can see the intakes have been painted deep eonough inside. I finally decided on 'steel' as a colour as pictures show the interior of the intakes to be metallic in colour.

Once dry I masked the outer edges of the painted section off to get a nice sharp line when it comes around to the white finish. As you can see I have attached the upper fuselage now and it was suprisingly quite a good fit despite all the angles involved. However a mismatch at the rear of this became apparent, not the kits fault but mine, after pinching it too hard as the superglue dried. If I had packed out the inside with scrap it would not have happened, ho hum!

Using my trusty glue and talc filler I quickly addressed this problem, about 1/2 hour max from filling to final shape.

Finally I dry fitted the engine body component, and all appears to line up pretty well. But before I can glue the part to the wing/fuselage I needed to add the engine mounting plate, which was a sinch.

Next installment will see fuselage and body together, nose probe, wing joints and outer panels attached. Have done a few pics of the progress so far today.

Be good till next time

Bigkev  ;)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:52:55 PM by Bigkev »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkev's Work in Progress 3 - XB-70 Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Hi All,

Well things have continued at a pace since my last installment.I have now managed to get the wing tips and tailplanes in place. Not too much of a problem here apart from the wing hinges which need a bit of refining to get a smooth fit, and the outer panels which needed a bit of glue and talc treatment on the leading edge points to sharpen them up.

The cockpit canopy is a little short and a bit shallow, so I have added a shim of card (20 thou) to the cockpit sills and coaming. This was then sanded until a smooth transition and matching of the fuselage top was achieved, with canopy.

The kits pitot tube is not very straight and a bit fragile, so I have use a pin to replace it, drilling out a hole to accept it and inserting it into hole and glueing it in position to correct length. I then built up nose with glue and talc and sanded to shapewhen hard. Result, a nice strong and sharp point to kit. Trouble is its like a great big dart, so I'll have to make sure I don't get harpooned!! 

At this point all wheels were sanded to shape, undercarriage legs trimmed and seam lines tidied up, engine nozzles and splitter plates tidied up, cockpit instrument panel and seats cleaned up. Undercarriage doors,..... nose okay after much thinning, but main ones will need replacing with new moulded from card items as they are too thick but curved around two edges.

All parts primed in Vallejo Acrylic Grey ready for detail painting.

Pictures attached.

Bigkev :D   

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Hi All,

well I'm back into modelling mode again after seeing all that stuff at Telford.

The Valkyrie is back on track and at present being painted up. I will post some more pics over next few days.

I think 'White' is the new in colour, well my modelling room does...................

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:05 PM »
Hi All,

Well things have been going 'all White' in the modelling room and I have included a few pics of the paint job so far.

As you can see the whole airframe is 'white', initially a primer coat of light grey to highlight any areas needing attention. Once done, a mixed coat of Revell Matt and gloss whites Revell numbers 04 and 05. This provides a 'key'coat to add gloss white coats to. I allow at least 36/48 hours between coats to ensure they are properly dry.

I also lightly rub each coat with micromesh 6000/8000 grit to remove any grainy paint finish and to smooth it out before adding next coat.
Model currently has three gloss white coats on top, three coats underneath and still needs a further coat on both to finish off. So around 10 days painting on white
alone.

Also note the jet pipes which have been Alcladed with Aluminum/Steel and hot metal violet/red/sepia, and finally Jet Exhaust. I think I have a nice varied finsh on them, but pictures don't really do justice.

I have also Alclad the undercarriage, and painted the tyres Humbrol 56 silver. They will be drybrushed dark grey on tyre surface before final assembly. This is because the Valkyrie used Aluminuim impregnated rubber tyres and powder to inflate tyres to withstand the high heat generated at high speed and landing temperature. They are NOT black!!

Finally note the white painted clear decal sheet, which will be used to mark the cockpit framing when finished. This is so the 'White' will match the paint job, rather than a different shade of white with white coloured decal sheet.

Also included in the pics is the X-15C kit which comes with the Valkyrie to attach as a mother/carrier combo option.( though this never actually materialised).

Hope you like pics, next installment will be approach final assembly and finishing off.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
Hi All,

I have just finished my Valkyrie, things like Work, Christmas Shopping and Festivities got in the way a little so I apologise for the delay in getting to the end.

Well, I think it has turned out okay, the white has gone on better than I thought and now that all the markings are in place, and the anti-glare panel painted in, the cockpit glazing and framing complete it definately looks like a Valkyrie, elegant and purposeful.

The undercarriage gave me a little problem, the Nose leg needed a brass rod inserting to beef up the joint, and the undercarriage doors were a trifle too thick. I tried to mould some main doors using the resin ones as masters, but they didn't like being heated when being plunge moulded. So I made new doors from plastic card, the main ones thicker than required and then carefully sanded thinner and to shape, and creating the curved exterior by judiocious sanding and bending.

To my delight and amazement all 10 wheels touched the ground first time, must be my lucky year.
Also you can see the X-15C is finished too, but I have made it sit on its nosewheel and skid undercarriage, rather than pose it on the pylon on the Valkyrie upper fuselage, I do have the pylon and have test fitted it with both aircraft together, and it looks nice, but obviously the X-15's undercart would be stowed so not totally correct.

Anyway now its done I can look forward to my next project, but until next time enjoy the pictures.

Bigkev