Author Topic: Second world war maritime comp  (Read 1609 times)

bridlufc

Second world war maritime comp
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Hi all, having got my modeling room up and running, I am back at what I really enjoy, building models. A few christmases ago, I was given a Revell 1/144 scale submarine as a present. As most of you know, my main passion is aircraft, but I decided to give it a go. The main body was quite easy to put together but as my interest waned, it was put to one side, mainly because at the time my modeling skills were in the novice class.  After deliberating what exactly to do with it I committed myself to putting it into the World war 2 maritime competition. Finishing the model called for using stretched sprue, which I have had no luck with in the past, at the best of times I have the touch of a baby elephant, I wondered what I could use for the guard rail posts, or is it part of the antenae?  I hit on the idea of using .5mm brass wire but I have always found cutting this stuff a problem, as with the brass tubing, cutting it with a small plumbers copper pipe cutter is a no no because they will not cut tubing so small. Cutting it with wire cutters always leaves a 'v' shaped end in brass wire and tubing which I find a real problem. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I hit on the idea of using a woodcraft matchstick cutter which I happened to have in my tool box and it works. Obviously it will only cut brass wire and tubing of a certain diameter but it does work very well with plastic tubing, leaving a nice clean cut.

Regards Tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Second world war maritime comp
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
Hi Tony,

Nice to hear from you. I'll try that idea. I have always had a problem with using brass wire cleanly cut.

Good luck with the sub, I have my anti submarine aircraft out looking for you so you will get sunk before competition time!!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Second world war maritime comp
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
I use a cutting disc in a mini drill to get a right angle cut on brass/metal.
Xuron do sell a cutter for metal , made really for railway modellers and it is supposed to give a good burr free square cut, they cost around £14.00. So your device is much cheaper!!!!!!
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature