Author Topic: Battleship "Sevastopol" in Kronstadt harbour 1917  (Read 28113 times)

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
Re: Battleship "Sevastopol" in Kronstadt harbour 1917
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
Chain fitted and some rigging added.  Can you hear him  -- your chain is to big - your chain is to big.

[attachment deleted by admin]

MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
I don't know what you mean Kevin !!!!! Thats what you would call a smug smile in the photo ???

MSea

Haddock

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 08:08:11 AM »
Working on the for and aft masts. Next job is to fit the chain links to fasten the rigging onto. The job after that is to listen to Haddock complain that my chain is to big.
Hate to disappoint but it looks fine to me!!
Haddock.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
I have decided NOT to be a Mini-Haddock  --- after another session of  %**&><  and other such expletives when making the ships masts. I will now make the masts and yardarms for the next ships from solid brass bar, and solder them together ( for strength, ) then use Haddocks chain method to fasten the rigging onto them.
Thanks Haddock for your comment on the chain size -- if YOU are happy then we are all happy.
MSea

Kiteman

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »
are we developing a chain gang amongst us?

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »
Hadock help   -   have you any idea if the ships boats on the russian battleship Sevastopol ( Gangut class ) faced ford or aft ? The instructions show them facing aft but it looks wrong to me. All my books show close ups of other parts of the ship or indistinct ones of the ships boat stowage. The only one I have found on the internet show them facing ford.
You know what its like somebody does something one way and a second person copies them then a third person -- then IT MUST BE TRUE because 3 different people have done it that way -- I like research from photos because they tend not to mislead you as much.

MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
Start on the statue of Stepan Osipovich Makarov (1849-1904) who was lost when his ship the Petropavlosk was lost outside Port Arthur.  The figure is from the Airfix WW2 Luftwaffe Personnel set - and has had another outing as a figure on the "Abandon D.U.C.K. River Thames London September 2013" model.

MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
Figure converted to a long coat and naval hat. The figure of Makarov is on top of a red rock placed on a concrete step with anchors and chain surrounding it. It also has what seems to be a dragon or sea monster climbing up the red rock (we shall see how that goes !!!)

MSea

Haddock

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
Hadock help   -   have you any idea if the ships boats on the russian battleship Sevastopol ( Gangut class ) faced ford or aft ? The instructions show them facing aft but it looks wrong to me. All my books show close ups of other parts of the ship or indistinct ones of the ships boat stowage. The only one I have found on the internet show them facing ford.
You know what its like somebody does something one way and a second person copies them then a third person -- then IT MUST BE TRUE because 3 different people have done it that way -- I like research from photos because they tend not to mislead you as much.
Facing aft just seems wrong somehow, I should follow your instinct and face them for'ard.
Haddock.

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Many thanks I will go with my first thought.
MSea

Haddock

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
Just to confuse things, I've got  Revell's Gangut kit in my "pile to do", it depicts the after group of boats facing aft. However, I think it is probably a re-boxing of someone else's kit, we could have the same kit in a different box. The box measures 500mm by 360mm roughly to fit in the biggest sprue.
I wouldn't mind betting that they've re-boxed the Zvezda kit and copied the instructions.
Haddock. 

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »
Yet again I think you are correct ( about the Revell kit, ) just looked on line and the sprues look the same layout as on the Zvezda kit.
The figure for Stepan Makarov has lost half his milliput beard - so more hair growing before painting the figure bronze. The red rock has had a base coat of red paint before drybrushing with several different reds. Then on with the sea monster ( no not Kevin )
The back board has been made and will be fastened to the base, then 3-D trees and shrubs made to cover the join and the different section of photo on the back - any bits left in sight should be covered by the small buildings and the statue. That is the plan at he moment !!!

MSea

Kiteman

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
Martin....you are mad! How did you come onto such an idea???

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »
Hi Kiteman - the idea is from my head -- and as the others will tell you --that is full of very strange things !!!
How about this for MAD - when I get the WW2 battleship Marat -- I shall place her in front of the Odessa steps from Sergei Eisensteins film "The Battleship Potemkin" with figures painted grey acting out that section of the film on the steps in the background.
Ho Ho Ho Ha Ha Ha and other maniacal sounds !!!!!
MSea

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
Well Makarov has grown his beard and has had a coat of bronze.
Sorry to tell you all NO KEVIN on the statue - it looked like a sea monster to me in the images but reading up on it, they say "Makarov is standing on top of a wave gesturing towards the future" well it still looked like a sea monster to me - or is that my head again ?????

MSea