Author Topic: What am I building now?  (Read 65171 times)

Kiteman

Re: What am I building now?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 05:02:06 AM »
Well the MS is nearly complete (photos to follow) and I have made a start on another 1:48 aircraft, this time from Airfix. Here is Eric the pilot in no specific uniform (so no clues there) sitting in his new machine. I don`t worry about detail in cockpits too much....it can`t be seen when it`s together anyhow. The question is ...do you know what it is?  C´mon Wizzel nows your chance to beat Kev!!!!
More to come.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:03:46 AM by Kiteman »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
Hi Kiteman,

I reckon it could be a Me-109 of some description, most likely a 1/48th scale. As to 'Eric' more likely an 'Erwin' or 'Johan'.
Anywhere close??
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
I think in this role he is an Erik, wowza kev you really are a spotter. You are right it is a ME, it is a 109, I´ll be interested to see if you can guess the variant as photos come. How did you get that so quickly and with so little info???

Kiteman

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »
Here are some piccies of the progress on the 109......thanks Kev for the tips...it really is helping.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:22 PM »
Although I now know it is a 109, the armoured headrest behind the pilot is very distinctive.  Whether it was a feature on other aircraft - and whether I would have been able to identify it as a 109 armoured headrest WITHOUT knowing it was a 109 - I have no idea.  What I do know is that Kev is a real spotter!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
Before Kev replies, it is a BF109 F.  What gives it away is the rounded wing tips and although I can't see it, the spinner will be bigger with a rounded front.  I remember a little recognition poem from a book I was bought about the 109 for my 10th Birthday; "Now Willi's gone and made another, rather like it's elder brother.  rounded wingtips, spinner's bigger, unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.  109 F is it's name; F for Futile, not for fame!!!  The lack of bulges over the cowling for the larger ammo drums also tell me it is an F not a G.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
Very Good young Wizzel.
I think it could be an Me-109F 'Fredich', on the basis of your observations. However it could be an early 'G' as not all had ammo bulges early on.
Over to Kiteman..................
Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2015, 07:28:35 AM »
Know all's!
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »
Sad !!!!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »
Yes indeed.  There are some real subtle differences between types - not all visible on the outside either.  And of course, so many different aircraft to know the different types of too!  Let's hope Kitey-Babe chooses a more obscure obscure part for his next little tease.  It's a game we often play on the telephone; he will describe the latest model he's won for me and I'll have to guess it.  It may be an idea to have a little competition at the Christmas Cupertal along these lines - photographs of sprues and guess the kit.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
A possible thought, for a Christmas competition.

I think Bill did something similar a few years back.                   
But, I must say it was a bit of fun.
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 03:53:11 AM »
Here a couple of shots of the mystery Models 1 & 2. So you can see that the 109 was an F Variant..well done Wizzel. Also a couple of snaps on the progress of the next 1:48 Mystery model for you folks,...what is it then??

Kiteman

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to attach the photos of MS 406 & dirty ME BF 109F. here they are....

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
Nice to see the Airfix Messerschmitt Me-109 done so well.

On with the mystery, I think you are trying to make things a little difficult now, as I am sure you are posting pictures of the observers/radio operators station rather than a cockpit. Now I am sure it is American, and I'll probably have a stab at a Curtiss Helldiver, but it could also be something a little more sedate like a Grumman Duck.
Anywhere close???
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliment on the 109. Re- the mystery aircraft, niether nor. Over to you Wizzel. (or anyone else)