Author Topic: CHURCHILL CROCODILE  (Read 10422 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
CHURCHILL CROCODILE
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
I haven't forgotten about the BV 138 and will update this one next week, but I thought I'd post this as a little "gap filler" just to show I'm still active.  This was one of a few models I got for Christmas from my father-in-law - he picks bits and bobs up for auctions, junk shops and the like so I figured it's a suitable subject for the next competition so off we jolly well go...

It's the Arifix 1/76 scale model - 2 kits in one really from what I can see; the original Churchill MkV (in dark green plastic) with an extra bag of gubbins (in light grey) in there for the fuel trailer, towing hitch and flame thrower which replaces the hull machine gun in the kit.

The kit goes together well, although because of the construction of the skirt, you have to glue the 22 sets of wheels to the body of the tank, THEN fit the track, then fit the skirt so I was not able to get the outer axles to fit into the holes on the skirt.  Maybe a dab of glue over the holes will give the impression that the holes have the axles in, and if I tell nobody, then my secret is safe.

The tracks are of that typical rubbery plastic and when glued together, are not quite long or flexible enough to be fitted over the wheels (there is a toothed running wheel at both front and back) without breaking the join!  At least with the skirt covering the top of the tracks, nobody will know that they are just glued to the wheels and don't actually join up at any point!  Again, another of my well kept secrets.

Painting!  Well, I thought with a good old (and new) Airfix kit, Humbrol enamels were the traditional choice.  I had the (correct?) colours too.  Sadly, despite washing the kit in warm soapy water, they didn't take.  Streaking and smearing on both the tank and the trailer!!! I couldn't figure it out, so I tried again with Revell enamels.  Same result.  I reverted to Vallejo acrylics and they took a treat.  My only conclusion is that it may have been my brush?  I have since use enamels on another kit (NOVO) with no problem at all and the only difference is that I took the time to give my brushes a good de-gunge.  So, a nice "tank green" all over to start with.  Tracks in gunmetal.  Tyres in black. 

Next stage was displaying it.  As you know, I don't like just putting a kit on the table and the appeal of a flamethrower tank was too good to pass up - BUT, how to make a realistic enough looking jet of flame!  Well, to be honest, I didn't think too long about it, I just had a look at what I had to hand and set to try a few things out.  First a piece of acetate cut to rough profile onto which I built up  a couple of layers of thick superglue each side, teasing it into rough shapes as it dried.  Roughly painted, it looked okay.  I then experimented with a tub of rubber solution type glue which I found turned very jelly-like when I mixed paint (I used clear orange and clear red) with it.  This I used to build up the shape even more and then I discovered that the dried residue peeled off into those nice "fish skin" type things which looked pretty good as the little sheets of flame that roll off the jet.  Fortunately, the first experiment was good enough for me and I'm quite pleased with the result.  What do you think?

While layers of that were setting, I made a start on the weathering of the tank and trailer.  Simple washes of black and a bit of dry brushing so far.  I'm thinking that the markings should really be on at this stage too as they will have weathered along with the tank, so I missed a trick there - I'll get that sorted tonight. 

The stage I'm at now is planning the diorama.  It will take the form of a small pillbox dug into the hill on a bend in a Normandy lane with the tank hitting it at fairly close range with the flame.  With the range being short, this will cause a bit of splash, so I'm going to be creating plenty of orange "fish skin" to replicate this, and of course the black smoke that goes with it.  As that progresses, I'll be getting stuff ready to 'decorate' the outside of the tank with; sandbags, rolls of netting or whatever I can find in photographs, anyway, some pictures to date will give you a rough idea.  TO BE CONTINUED SOON!  Now, where's that BV 138???

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: CHURCHILL CROCODILE
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
Great stuff, looks at bit dangerous all those flames heading for the volatile glue bottle?
Where are health and safety when you want them?
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:52 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Looks flaming good mate (pardon pun)

Funny enough I'd even thought at an early stage posing my Concorde taking off on that fateful day with flames belching out on take-off.
This might just be the way to do it, looking how good your 'experiment' is. Would like to see the model when finished, it looks fearsome and realistic.
Very well done mate.
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:57:22 AM »
I am sure that I have one of these somewhere? I must look it out.
I like the flame effect very much and look forward to a real life viewing.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »
Hi Wizzel,
Will it appear at Huddersfield?
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »
Many thanks for the confidence boosting comments.  Yes, I plan on taking it to Huddersfield.  After daring to take the other couple of models I've made so far to our show, I'm not scared anymore.

I managed to make a start on the bunker last night but have nothing worth photographing just yet, couple more days and I should be able to give you something to look at.  The bunker is balsa wood which will be "rendered" with something or other to represent concrete.  Thing with me and dioramas is, I have a vague idea of what I'm going to do and when I sit down and start to play with what I have, it just seems to come together.  Quite lucky so far I guess...

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Found mine, lurking in a cupboard.
Here it is, no flames though.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
At least you've got the marking one though.  I like that it's called BRITON but has American stars on  :P

Did you have any problems getting the paint to "take" - what did you paint it with?

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
I do believe that I used Vallejo paints and varnishes.
Were the stars not used for the invasion, even by us?

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:22:13 PM »
Oooh, I don't know.  I can't recall our armour having any national markings so maybe we did put the white star on, just to stop the Americans shooting at us "by mistake" as they would have done if we'd have had the Union Flag all over it.  I shall investigate.  I note the absence of the "rain" weather effect on your crocodile too  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:33:26 PM by Wizzel »

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Ha, Ha, its just extra weathering.

Kiteman

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
"flamin ell" you is doin a gud job there Wizzel ....keep at it

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
Ah now then.  As ever, I've been a bit slow in continuing modelling; time and illness have been the culprits but I've managed a few minutes at a time over the last few weeks and now I've something worthwhile to report, here it is.  The tank itself, as provided by Airfix, is now finished!  Markings are on, weathering is done I think - but of course when do you STOP weathering?  It'll do anyhow.  I added radio antennae out of stretched sprue which I HATE working with, flattened the wheels on the fuel trailer to try and simulate weight and added a little lick of flame on the glacis plate under the flame thrower hood as on the video I saw, there was always a little spill of fuel which subsequently caught light when the flame was fired.  I need to add some clutter to the tank next which will go on in the background while I get on with the diorama.

The bunker has undergone various designs as I didn't quite know how I wanted it but now I have decided, things will progress.  Nothing worth posting picture wise of that just yet but I imagine by Wednesday there will be something.  Of course the Feb meeting is my deadline so that should focus me.  On with the show then...

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Hot stuff matey!
Look forward to seeing it at the meeting.
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Just a few pics showing the rough idea for the diorama I mocked up on the dining table to see how it looked when the major components were put together.  VERY BASIC bunker at the moment and the foam squares are just so I can carry the two parts about easily to help plan the actual ground - that's on the cards for starting tomorrow.  I'm happy with it anyhow.