Author Topic: CHURCHILL CROCODILE  (Read 10427 times)

Kiteman

Re: CHURCHILL CROCODILE
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
carefull with the puns, we don`t want to "ignite" any ill feeling.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
Okay then, just a couple to keep you happy.  The bunker is near enough done now, though I may put a few more pock marks into it and of course the greasy smoke marks on the corner where the flame has hit.  If I'm honest, I still don't know if the texture is too rough now I've seen the pictures but it'll have to do.  Today I've been working on the ground and some small details such as the cam net and spare tyre which will be lashed to the top of the fuel trailer.  The jet of flame is now glued into the flame thrower too.  I'll see about posting a few more later once the ironing is done and the camera batteries have been charged.

[attachment deleted by admin]

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
Love the smoke and flames!
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
Hot Stuff, Wizzel!

I want to see this one for some inspiration, and guidance. Great Job Wizzel1
'Hot' off the modelling table!

Bigkev

I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
Right then.  Unexpected guests and the usual domestic chores have stalled me as usual.  Anyway, an update since the last post.  To help me with the actual diorama, I like to create a scenario to model and this one is that the tank is part of a clearance patrol in Normandy tasked with supporting infantry with clearing defence lines.  This particular bunker is an MG position dug into the hill and as the roof is accessible from the high ground, a mortar team have set up on the roof.  The tank, having driven up the road past the hedgerow has now got sight of the troublesome bunker and has slewed off the road to take it out.  There's been a few rounds put down from the main gun which have smashed up the top of the bunker and toppled the mortar and the crew have done a runner what with the tank being too close for the mortar to be effective, leaving the occupants of the bunker to fend for themselves - not an uncommon occurrence where flame-throwers were concerned.

As you can see I have now got the base done as far as putting the wood around the edges and effectively sealing the whole thing in and have been slowly working on the ground from the road to the bunker.  The ground was roughly built up of packing foam covered with newspaper and PVA glue and on top is a mixture of plaster of paris, water, retardant/adhesive and paint slopped on and roughly moulded to the form I wanted.  The barbed wire fence was made from cocktail sticks and strands of net curtain, painted steel grey and twisted in between each fence post and is effective enough for me.  Up the right hand side will be the hedgerow made from some stuff I bought at Huddersfield - a sort of hair braid that you pull a bit from, spray it black or brown to give it some rigidity then blast it with hairspray and sprinkle the foliage on, then set it with a squirt of PVA diluted with water.  Pretty effective and definitely a good buy!   Photos of progress so far then...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:22:36 PM by Wizzel »

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
Nearly there now.  I've been working on the splash of the flame on the bunker and it's just about to my satisfaction.  A bit of a trim needed here and there, some "fleshing out" in places and some fire on the ground in front of the bunker and that'll be done.  The terrain is almost complete.  The hedgerow is as previously described, ground cover is some green fibre dabbed down with Ronseal matt varnish and some of the hedgerow sprinkle dabbed roughly on with me brush.  There will be a couple of bare patches of earth which I will probably turn into small mortar craters.  The trees on the left are from a pack I got at Hobbycraft. 

Remaining tasks once the flame will be final placement of the mortar position on top of the bunker, maybe add a couple of figures as infantry support to the tank and a general tidy up.  Checking the household diary, I've got Friday as my deadline so I hope to bring this thread to a close for then.

Here are some pictures of how it is right now then...

Haddock

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
            Looks neat, are the tank and trailer emerging from a river, if so I'll bring you some stuff to make still water.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
It's meant to be a road but you've inspired me - a little late for this project but I'll bear it in mind for another one, thanks.  Does the still water making material come with tuition??  The reason it's shiny and looks like it's covered in water is because the varnish I used to hold the ground cover down is still wet.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
It looks great mate. Look forward to the fully finished article at the meeting.

In fact your build has got me going on something military, a Morris Quad,  25pdr and limber in 1/76. The white beast has given me the impetus to do something different, and the crocodile build was my inspiration.

bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
Well done Wizzel! I am particularly impressed with this diorama.....very believable and atmospheric. Love the shrubbery....keep it a bit shiny it look as if its been raining and is very impressive. This diorama is an inspiration for us all, it looks very satisfying, and I know that you have had fun getting it together, once again well done and thanks for posting it.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
look forward to a viewing at the next meeting.
Get some petrol in the trailer and we could have real flames next time.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
Mmmm, I'm wondering now if it was me that caused the fire alarm at Huddersfield!

Many thanks for your kind words all.  Once I pluck up the confidence to start work on the next stage, things just fall into place and I do actually quite like how this is coming on.  The diorama work is something I particularly enjoy but the issue that leaves me is the space everything takes up!  If I put every model I make into a diorama, I'm going to need to send DCOS back home to her folks to gain room to display them all.   ??? 

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
There is an up side to everything - do I mean down side?

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Right then, I reckon that's it finished.  The thing with dioramas is you could just go on and on "improving them" until you go too far and ruin it completely.  So I'll settle for just ruining it a bit I think.

The finishing touches were to add a bit of a crater to the right of the tank near the hedge, paint the frame around the diorama "wild thyme" and glue a bit of green painted gauze bandage over the edges as cam net.  I didn't manage to find any suitable figures in time to add before declaring it finished so if I end up with some left over from another diorama in the future they may get inserted but I didn't want to buy a full box of 30 odd just to pilfer 2 or 3 from it.

Some pictures then and it'll be packed into the boot for the meeting tomorrow.  Just before I get back to the BV 138, I've been asked if I can do a few more figures for the Thirtle Bridge Camp diorama for when the lighthouse re-opens at Easter.  So, that'll be 2 more threads to be continued in the near future then. 

Kiteman

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2015, 07:12:18 AM »
Well done Wizzel, I am very impressed and inspired by this fine diorama.