Author Topic: Bigkev's W.I.P No.6 Revell BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde 1/144th British Airways  (Read 32482 times)

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
As I am from Yorkshire, both of course.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Full of benevolence, us lot.  We'll help any bugger out, if there's summat in it for us!

Kiteman

I find watching you guys build is very motivating, thank you again!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Things been a bit slow on the modelling front, what with work shifts, Huddersfield, and family matters to attend.
Anyway work has restarted, and I have now sprayed the insides of the nacelles and also the wing interiors of the nacelle area. This is to ensure that no light or openness can be seen when modelled is handled.
I masked off the area with tape and applied Tamiya Matt Black, a nice even finish was rapidly achieved after two thin coats. Tamiya paint is great as it covers really well, and sprays beautifully, and dries quick into the bargain.
As you can see there was a little overspray evident where I had not been careful enough. This will present no problem though to the white that will be applied as I will just lightly sand the area with 8000 micromesh which will soon remove any offending overspray.
The undercarriage bays are painted silver, but will have some 'colour' applied and a wash of dark brown to pick out the details I have made.
Pictures of the above:-
Bigkev 

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

Haddock

Wish I could get your paint finishes, mine looks as though it's been put on with a dogs tail.
Probably was on the real thing!!

zak

• View Profile
Didn't know you had a dog?
Your finishes always look ok to me.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well a little more progress. The nacelles were assembled, and then they were test fitted to the wings. It was apparent that there would be a small gap around each nacelle. Rather than just fill, which would have been prone to cracking, I decided to cut some small strips of 10 thou card to each edge of the wing engine nacelle opening. As can be seen this stands proud of the wing surface, but will be easy to slice off when dry (12hrs).
I also felt the nacelles wanted to sit a little too low in the wing, so I have added some small tabs to the to bring them into line and reinforce their location. Small amounts of trimming will be needed here to get possible fit. 
When the nacelles are offered up to the wing the joint will need some filler, but only minimal as the card fills most of the void nicely.
You will also notice some damage to the black paintwork where I attached the engine exhaust rear. This will be retouched once nacelles attached, ready for Alcad II for the 'Hot' areas of the nacelle.
The fuselage and wing joint got a further coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 spray to check for any flaws along the seams. This will be polished back with 8000 micromesh before painting.
Some pictures of work described:-
Bigkev

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:17:46 AM by Bigkev »

zak

• View Profile
You have certainly been busy.

Kiteman

You have the eyes of an eagle and the patience of a saint, that is why your work is sooooooooo good!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Kiteman,
I also have the memory of a Goldfish!
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
Thanks for that Kiteman,
I also have the memory of a Goldfish!
Bigkev
;)
I hadn't realised that it was that good!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheeky,
Aren't you off to sunnier climes soon?
It might give a chance to catch up on your building rate.
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
Monday, no modelling for at least a week.
The traction engine is coming along, needs a lot of rubbing down.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Awhh that's nice,
Taking your Traction Engine on holiday with you, what a kind considerate man you are!
Have a good time, look out for that runway........................
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well the card has been trimmed flush and the nacelles glued in place. Some small gaps were evident so I used some 'White Stuff' body putty to fill these. When rubbed down there were still some very small flaws that needed some Mr Surfacer 500 applied with a brush. I have since rubbed this down too and confirm that they are now sorted!
You may also see after the airframe has been rubbed down, some unnoticed depression on both elevons aside the rear fuselage. These are shown as grey where the Mr Surfacer has filled them, so that blast of Surfacer 1000 was a good thing. The fuselage also had a few surprises with a small depression on the fuselage where on of the aerials fit, again the surfacer dealt with that too.

I am now happy the airframe can start to receive paint, and this will be the next stage starting with an undercoat on the treated areas before gloss paint can be applied.
Some photo's of the described work attached.
Bigkev