Author Topic: Bigkev's W.I.P No.6 Revell BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde 1/144th British Airways  (Read 32393 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Cheers Haddock, I shall give that a try.  Slowly but surely, and with the help of all of you, I'm building quite a data file of tips and tricks!  And I'm now brave enough to give these things a go too, that's important, putting the theory into practice.

Kiteman

experience cannot be learned, it must be earned!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Sorry not much progress made with Concorde for a while. Getting the 'Secretary Rites' completed for the newsletter, and dealings with Geoff's sad passing away has stifled progress.
Anyway on a positive note, the replacement decals from Draw Decals, from America have arrived today. They look very good as I expected. I cannot wait to start again, getting the kit together and as Haddock puts it, 'some paint sloshed on'.
Anyway some pictures of the Decals for now.
Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
Nice to see them correctly named Union Flag, not Jack.  I will be after some advice on where to go (!!!) for some markings for specific aircraft so standby at Huddersfield to introduce me to some personalities.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about how these markings take.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well we are back on the build again. I have glued the nose on and the visor, but as you can see they don't fit too well! Hmmmpf!
Also the wing is assembled minus the engines, this went pretty well despite being a tricky fit on the leading edge.
Filling next time.............................
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

Well now the nose and visor are dry, its time to fill any gaps present and smooth the surface. For the nose /visor I have used a mix of Talc and Thick superglue. This is applied over the gaps and then sprayed with Activator to make it go off.
Notice the windows have been filled with Mr Surfacer 500. This because the replacement decals will portray all the windows. Added with a small brush, once dry will be rubbed down and should reveal neatly filled windows, well that's the theory.
The wings only needed a little rubbing down in the main, any hairline gaps will be addressed once the wings are attached.
The eagle eyed will notice the wheel wells still need to be 'plumbed'. I will get this done a bit later on.
After an initial rub down of the nose area, a few slight depressions were noticed and I have added some 'Green Stuff' to redress these.
Once dry I will rub down again and inspect for flaws.
Bigkev

Kiteman

Looks messy at the moment but I know what`s coming. It is very generous of you to explain in detail the steps that you are making, with all the potions that you use. I learn an awful lot from people like you, that improves my modelling, and for that I am eternally gratefull.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Kiteman,
Cheers for that.
I hope my builds give you the confidence to try some of the things that work for me. Like yourself you pick up lots of tips just by talking and watching others.
I am still learning things too, etch brass is my 'bogey' I need to overcome.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well a little more progress.

I have rubbed down the green stuff on top of the fuselage and it is looking good now, no sink marks apparent.
The windows have been rubbed down, you can see before and after, and if you look closely you will see the first four windows on the port side are slightly darker where I have put some green stuff on and rubbed that down to fill remaining depressions.
You will also notice that I have refilled all the windows in White Stuff filler again. This should be enough to make them good enough. It only takes 30mins to dry so I'm writing this whilst it goes off.
The nose undercarriage doors ( main ones are normally closed at all times unless gear is retracting or coming down or for servicing) have been glued in place and some small 'levelness' has been dealt with by applying filler to the affected areas. I have masked the outside of the doors where I do not want filler to go.
Rub down here I come!
Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Too much rubbing down, don't wear yourself out.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile

I'll look like, and be the size of Tom Cruise when I've finished!

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,

All rubbed down now. I first sprayed the nose in Mr Surfacer 1000, which comes in aerosol form. This is great stuff, as it really gives a good smooth overall finish. It highlighted some imperfections which I dealt with. It also filled any small areas not noticed. When dry the nose of the fuselage was then given a very fine sanding which removed all but the filled imperfections and the panel lines.
Whilst waiting for the fuselage, I prepared all the other parts ready for painting, the engine nacelles needed a little fettling to start with, but as you can see the intakes are now tidied up and ready for painting.
Next job will be to prime these parts ready for paint and Alclad II where necessary.
Some pictures of process so far.
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
I echo Kiteman's gratitude at being told not just WHAT you did but also HOW you did it.  All very useful stuff.  Just so I understood it correctly, did you "polish" the superglue around the visor once it had set, to represent the glass of the visor?  If so, am I also correct in saying you effectively created your own clear part?

Kiteman

I am amazed by your work...it`s like magic

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cheers Gents,
Thankyou for the comments.
Wizzel, I rubbed down the superglue/talc as it is a harder better filler for things like airliners. The clear kit part is still there but its mating edges are now filled and very smooth.
I will be applying decals for the cockpit and fuselage windows once painted.
Cheers
Bigkev

PS. Wing to fuselage tonight, will post tomorrow after it has dried.