Author Topic: Blohm und Voss BV 138  (Read 15472 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
Blohm und Voss BV 138
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Well if you were at the pack up of our show, you may remember I decided to take on the task of building the BV 138 for Ted Winkler - a good family friend of the Ketley's - after initially shying away from it.  Ted had asked if anyone was willing to put it together and had in fact provided 2 kits, one to build for him and the other one for whoever built his.  There were several factors behind me stepping into the breech; 1.  I know Ted quite well and would be pleased to help him out by doing this.  2.  I really needed to get building kits again to give my confidence a boost.  3.  I didn't have a BV138 in my collection yet.  Last night, after a good sort out of my bench, I decided to make a start.  I would build mine first and use it as a learning experience for Ted's, hopefully not making the same mistakes twice!

The BV 138 is a twin boom, high set wing, tri-motor seaplane with one engine at the front of each boom and the third in a nacelle mounted centrally above the fuselage pod.  It is nicknamed "The Flying Clog" for obvious reasons.  A picture of it is attached for illustration purposes!  The 1/72 kits I have are by Super Model.  The plastic is light grey, reasonably soft and with sufficient sharpness to cause me no sucking of teeth.  No flash, sink holes or ejector pin marks were evident and the seam lines were mild.  I have no research material at the moment to comment on the level of detail but if I enhance anything, it will be scratch built as I am not a fan of spending 5 kits' worth of money on after market parts for 1 kit.  The clear parts were clear with decent framing - the clear gun turrets are of the type that come in 2 parts, joined vertically together so I will be asking for some advice on how to best do this and not get an obvious line.  The decals seemed in good nick for the age of the kit (I did have one a long while ago and think it dates back to the 1970s).  I was pleased to see the inclusion of swastikas on the sheet and can never understand the refusal to provide them, being as they are as much a part of the historical accuracy of the kit as the machine guns or bombs!  The instructions are not too clear on the location of parts so plenty of dry fitting and common sense is called for.

The one I opened had already been started - presumably Barry was going to do this for Ted.  The outer wing sections with the twin booms had been glued together and the hull sides had been glued to the fuselage pod.  Filler had been applied but needed to be sanded down.  The whole thing is covered in raised panel lines which I thought I would probably get rid of and scribe recessed ones using the other kit as a guide.  A beaching trolley is included in the kit and so I thought I would build that first, to get a feel for the plastic and also to provide a stand for the kit to rest on as work progresses.  I spent a deal of time first checking to make sure all the parts were present (apart from one propeller blade being missing from each of the 3 bladed boom engines - the central one is 4 bladed  - all was there) then test fitting the main parts which had already been assembled.  The fit was good and so I relaxed even further.  Tonight, work begins in earnest, assembling the trolley and doing a little research on the interior colours so I can get that painted and to see what I could do to improve details.

Pictures will be posted when I have taken some (tonight) but I figured that if I at least made a start on an article for the web site, there would be the motivation to get on and actually build the thing(s).  If nothing else, it's got my bench sorted out - a long overdue task.  To be continued - SOON.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:43:34 PM by Wizzel »

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Blohm und Voss BV 138
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
Looks like a challenge!
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
A challenge I am relishing now that the bits are on the bench.

As you can see in the attached pics, most of the main components have been started on.  It looks smart, even just cobbled together with rubber bands and tape!  It's not quite as large as I thought it would be either.  Them panel lines will have to go though, probably be 3" high at full scale.  I didn't mention before that 4 crew members are also supplied - 3 seated for the flight deck - pilot, co-pilot and radio operator - and one standing for the gunners/observers cupola at the position just behind the centre engine!  I for one am pleased that manufacturers have started to put figures in their kits again.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Well now you've started, we'll all be watching your progress with the BV 138.

No pressure then.........................

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:55 AM »
Great stuff.

Haddock

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:15:11 AM »
Seen as it's a plane that floats, you may need to mount it on water.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
I may end up using the Haddock "sea method" on the aircraft; prod it about until it looks right then bake it!"

As I have 2 to build, I will make Ted's from the box and use the trolley, but the other one may well end up on/in water.  You know I like my kits in some sort of context - I may have to have some private tuition in making sea!

Haddock

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Thought I might waffle for a few minutes about making sea at the next meeting if anyone is interested.
Haddock.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
It was a big box as I remember, I thought the aircraft would have been larger?

So, it will be all at sea at the next meeting?
It certainly will, Kevin is away and I may be in charge but not control.
Dave

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Yes please Haddock, I'll be taking notes.  The level you need to pitch at for me is the absolute lowest - well below sea level if you will!

It is quite a compact size Zak.  The picture on the box is bigger than the kit itself and that gave my confidence another boost as it's not too cumbersome for my hesitant hands.

Anyway, last, I built the beaching trolley frame - 6 parts which I took time to clean the seam lines off - which consist of two sides and 4 cross members of tubular steel construction which equates to 16 points of contact to be glued as precisely as possible so the frame doesn't end up warped.  I had been using the bottles of Vitalbond  CA glue from Boyes which had done me well to date but the plastic on this kit didn't seem to like it too much.  I decided to try the Mr Hobby Mr Cement S that I bought at our show in 2013 but hadn't tried yet and got on with it extremely well.  The applicator brush allows almost surgical precision and it dries invisibly. 

Tonight, I'm starting on the cockpit and interior.  The flight deck itself looks like it will be fairly cramped with little to see once the crew are seated at their stations so I won't worry about any major detailing other than thin fimo seat cushions and very thin seat harnesses over the pilots once they are in place.  The cockpit consists of floor with moulded centre console and rudder pedals, seats, instrument panel with a decal for the dials, control sticks and yolks.  Aft there is a bank of radio kit again with decal faces and a separate floor and seat for the radio operator.  All crew members have separate arms for "multi posing.  I shall get these put together then dry fit them to see exactly what is visible.  I don't want to spend too much time on small detail if it won't be seen.  For now anyway.  Update to follow along with some more pictures.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Keep the posts coming. I always wanted to see how one of these beasts build.

Nice work so far, me 'old mucker'

Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »
Progress is slow but steady.  Time is the main enemy as well as DCOS appearing to insist I look at her latest craft project just as I'm about to embark on a delicate bit of painting or gluing.

Since we last spoke, the main components have been roughly rubbed down to remove them panel lines, the cockpit has been almost assembled, painting on the crew started and the turrets partly assembled.  During these stages, I had to make a new yolk for one control column as the carpet ate one - a bit of stretched sprue and fuse wire did the trick.  I also cut the rather delicate gun barrels off the mounting plate which I drilled for insertion of a pin on stretched sprue right at the end.

Next steps will be to finish the crew and install them in their seats, complete the turrets then assemble the fuselage.  Then it's wings and tail plane on, paint on, little bits on and decals or transfers on.  Dead easy eh?  Well, I'll be the judge of that, with your help of course. 

To keep you going, some random pics of how we are to date are attached.  So far though, a thoroughly enjoyable kit with just enough work to do to make it modelling not assembling, but not too much to make it a chore.

Kiteman

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
Hey, you`ve been busy whilst I was on me ols. `Nice work mate, ist good to see you back on kits instead of the camp diorama (nothing against the diorama by the way). I look forward to seeing the progress on this one, a very interesting looking aircraft.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Yes, I agree with Kiteman, nice to see you producing such a handsome machine. I'm looking on with great interest.

An aircraft with great presence, I am sure it will look great once finished!

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Has the Blohm and Voss yard gone on strike!
Can you update us on progress please.
Bigkev