Author Topic: Blohm und Voss BV 138  (Read 15468 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Blohm und Voss BV 138
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 09:22:42 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Can you give us an update on the BV 138 build please. Its been some time since we heard from you on this one..............
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Haddock

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »
Hi Wizzel,

Can you give us an update on the BV 138 build please. Its been some time since we heard from you on this one..............
Bigkev
I think he's chucked it away and is secretly building ships!!!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
One of your new converts!
Eh, Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Haddock has secretly been supplying Wizzel with Tamiya ships possibly?
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »
When can we call it the "Bridlington & Wolds SHIP modelling club"  ??????
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:57 AM »
When can we call it the "Bridlington & Wolds SHIP modelling club"  ??????
Never in the ............................................... you can finish the quote.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Never in the field of plastic modelling have so many ship builders owed so much to so few aircraft builders!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
blooming heck, a year down the line already!!!  Where has the time gone?  You will be pleased to know that progress is being made again.  I have started the painting now - photos to follow in the next few days but the main components are together and all the little bits are just being finished off ready to go on once the paining is done.  So far, the underside has received the first coat.  Number two tomorrow night and things shold progress quite quickly from there.  Not long now!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
Just put coat number 2 on the underside.  Due to my well publicised car troubles lately, I am still brush painting rather than airbrushing, but I've decided not to let that be an excuse for holding things up.  I'm using Humbrol enamels, thinned to probably airbrush consistency and brushed on with a flat brush.  Several very thin coats with at least 1 day between to allow to dry and they are laying very well.  I shall probably give it one more coat and then burnish gently with "Scotch Brite" just to level it all off and see how it looks, then mask up and get ready for the dark green/black green splinter on top.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
Dear Diary, Sat 12 Sep 15.  0830 - 1340, work and travel to Hull.  1340 - 1500, book fayre at Central Library to meet local authors and buy Christmas presents.  1500 - 1930, go home, walk dogs, do 2 lots of laundry, cook and eat dinner.  1930 - 2100, MODELLING!!!  Underside light blue done and cured.  Dark green topside done and ready for curing then burnishing in preparation for black green splinter camouflage.  Floats painted.  Small bits such as aileron actuators, RF ring and such like cut off and cleaned up ready for attaching.  It's looking less like bits of plastic now.  The dark green may look a bit streaky, but once it's cured and burnished, that'll sort the finish out.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
It's coming together now, keep at it!

Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »
Clothes shopping for Poppy in York took care of most of today, then there was laundry, dog walks and ironing to do.  I still managed to mask off the area for the RLM70 black green splinter camouflage though.  Also got my paint mixed and ready to put on in the morning - too late now.  The benefit of brush painting is that I don't have to mess about masking the area WITHIN the tape that needs to stay RLM71 dark green.  Right, bed time then.

Kiteman

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
nice...Keep it coming.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Roger that, Kitey.  RLM70 applied and tape off.  It's the first time I've used the Tamiya masking tape for masking rather than holding and I must say, it does a grand job.  Even with the extra thin paint I was brushing on, none escaped under it, even on the ribs atop the booms or the rather deep panel lines for the access hatch on the wing.

There are a few tiny areas to touch up underneath where the upper and under surfaces meet; engines and under one boom where I wasn't paying enough attention to my masking, then it'll have a good burnish all over - for now, I've just started going over the top surface.  The burnishing started with Scotch Brite and I'm just giving it a go over with 12000 Micro Mesh cloth now (in the picture, you can perhaps see the difference between the near wing - untouched - and the far wing - started).  Once I get a nice even finish, it'll be on with the Klear, then the markings, then more Klear to seal them and then, I'm torn between matt varnish or just a good rub down with Scotch Brite and Micro Mesh directly over the Klear to bring the surface back down to a "honed" finish again as I really like the effect it gives to the raw paint.  I'll maybe try that first and if it doesn't work too well, I can 'Klear off' and try the matt varnish and then burnish.  Update to follow - I'm away from Wednesday for a week but I'll try to at least get as far as the pre-marking Klear coat before I go.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:18:14 AM by Wizzel »

Kiteman

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »
Ist looking good to me. I too like the hohned finish from burnishing, as you know I use it on most of my models. The streakyness in the finish, is that intentional or just as a result of the burnishing, however I like it, gives a nice "used" look.