Author Topic: Transfers  (Read 3733 times)

bridlufc

Transfers
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
 HI all, I have been building the 1/48 monogram f111 and I am having a problem with the transfers. I am quite happy with the transfers themselves, but when I sit them on the model using the microsol solutions, the transfers dry with a silvery effect. I suspect it could be the adhesive on the transfers themselves because I left a couple of the transfers in the water a little bit longer than usual and a milky substance leeched out from the transfers. I am thinking that this adhesive is causing the silvering on the model. I placed the transfers on the model but I have yet to find out if leaving them in the water longer has solved the problem. I was under the impression that either microsol or microset dissolved the carrier film on a transfer but I'm not sure they do.  Any feedback would be welcome,

Regards Tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Transfers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Hey Big Tony,

Back in the saddle!. I presume that you have made sure that the decals(transfers) had a nice glossy surface on which to adhere, if not this could be cause No.1 of your silvering problem. If it was glossy, have you tried...................

1. Putting the transfers onto a 'wet' Kleer covered surface?? This helps eliminate the air trapped between the decal/transfer and the paint surface. It also draws the decal/transfer down onto the surface.

2. Pricking the 'silvering' and adding more Micro sol, this sometimes allows the decal/transfer to be drawn down onto the surface after initial application.

3. Alternative/replacement Decals??? Sometimes 'old' decals are not up to the job.

Will look out for a reply,

'Silvered' but not decaled Bigkev.

(Find Lager helps hide silvering too, when it makes me go to sleep) ha ha
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

Re: Transfers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
Hi Kev, nice to have you back, its been pretty lonely on the club website lol.  I have done everything by the book hopefully, glossy surface, Microset, Microsol, but I am in no rush to give the model the end coat of varnish, I will work at pricking and brushing with microset.

Tony