Author Topic: Microsol and microset  (Read 4958 times)

bridlufc

Microsol and microset
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
Maybe it is me but I am having problems with microset and microsol. I paint the area where I want the transfer to sit with microset but, instead of the microset covering the area where I paint, it tends to pond in certain areas. Where am I going wrong? Is there a secret to using this stuff?

Regards Tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Microsol and microset
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:05:41 AM »
Hi Tony,

Sounds like you could be using too much. I know its tempting to get the surface 'wet' for the decal/transfer to go onto.

Microset is the wetting agent, but it does not mean that the surface has to be soaking wet. I use a largish brush and paint Microset on the area to be transfered/decalled. For me it does not seem to matter if that application has started to dry or has 'run off' before I get to the point of application. I think the chemical process has already begun and has prepared the surface to remove air between the two.

Once you have applied the Microsol which softens and helps the transfer/decal to bed down and it has dried, you should wash off excess of both soloutions prior to varnishing anyway. So the fact you get 'pooling' somewhere shouldn't really matter, other than you are having to remove unecessary amounts.

Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:37 AM »
I have stopped using these now and simply rely on good old Johnsons Klear, I use it to bed the transfer down during placement as well. I only use the Microsol on particularly bad bits were it is over rivets etc.
The pooling may be due to putting them on in the wrong order, the wetting agent, Microset, I think should destroy any problems due to surface tension etc and should be used first.
Cheers
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 09:36:10 PM »
Can Klear still be purchased or is it under another name? I was under the impression Johnsons Klear was now discontinued but there was an alternative

Regards Tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:16 AM »
Hi Tony,

Kleer, has been replaced by 'Future'. It is a similar product, though there is some debate about if it works as well as 'Kleer'. I think that if you hunt around some of the smaller outlets you can still find 'Kleer' though.

If you get stuck finding any, I can bring you some of mine on the club night.

Bigkev   
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:51:18 AM »
Have read a couple of articles that clain the new version still works even though it is a different colour etc. I am lucky I managed to get some of the old stuff.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

bridlufc

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the offer Kev, I got some floor polish from work a while ago, it looks milky not clear as Klear is. I tested it on some scrap canopies I have and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it as it dried clear, but I think I will have to do some more tests with it as to if it will perform as well as Klear as a base for transfers etc.

Regards Tony