Author Topic: Model Air Paints  (Read 2509 times)

Kiteman

Model Air Paints
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Being new to this airbrushing malarky my learning curve ist vertical. I have had success with Tamiya acrylics and am happy with them. I have just tried out some paint from Model Air and have had a disaster when thinnig it with Isopropyl alcohol. It turns all lumpy and goes thick and dries in the airbrush almost instantaniously. Can anyone please tell me what I should be using to thin this stuff??????

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Model Air Paints
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi Kiteman,
As far as I know, Vallejo Model Air paints are marketed as ready for airbrushing and as such do not require and additional thinning.
The only suggestion I could make if you did want the mix thinner, is to use their own brand thinners, though I have not used it when using Vallejo Model Air as I didn't think it needed it.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
Apart from agreeing with bigkev about using vallejo thinners try increasing the air pressure in your airbrush gradually until you are happy with the paint spraying out of the airbrush.

Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »
They can be thinned with Vallejo thinners, although they can supposedly be sprayed straight from the bottle I usually thin then a little more.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
             I do the same as Dave. I thin with their thinners if I want to spray at a low pressure (10-15 psi).
I do have problems when the bottle is nearly empty, the paint develops "clumps" of thick paint that won't thin so it clogs the airbrush. I assume it's the stuff that's stuck to the side of the bottle and started to dry.
At this point, I chuck the bottle away, or just use it for brush painting. Less hassle.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
You foolish man - I've already told you that IPA makes Vallejo go like school custard!  I asked this question at the last club meeting as I've had mixed results with water, surgical spirit and white spirit.  Their own brand thinners was mentioned as was screen wash - any old brand will do, the cheaper the better so I'm sure you have some of that in your garage.  Give it a go and let me/us know what happens.

Another thing is that I was under the misconception that acrylic paints dried and cured quicker than enamel but remember that drama I had with the Beaufighte/Op SQUABBLE thing?  The opinion was to give it around a week to har...den so even though it's acrylic, don't get too impatient.

Kiteman

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
Thank you all for your advice and abuse (Wizzel) I shall try nitro thinners and see what happens, I just hope that I wont need to clean my airbrush with a sand blaster again!!!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
No, don't do it, it won't work!
Happy airbrush cleaning and dismantling.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
Thought of using tap-water?     it's cheap!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »
Thought of using tap-water?     it's cheap!
I have.  Not spectacular results but "good enough".

Kiteman

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »
Penny pinching Wizzel

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
Penny pinching Wizzel

It doesn't even cost me a penny - I fill my container up from work for free.  As if I'd use my own hard earned water for thinning paint down!!