Author Topic: Strippers  (Read 1298 times)

meremodeller

• View Profile
Strippers
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »
Now that I have your attention I will refer back to a conversation last Sunday at Huddersfield. Several members are discussing the best way to strip acrylic paint from a model. One favoured method was to paint the model in a product like 'Modelstrip' and leave overnight in a poly bag. A method for small areas is to use 'Purisol', available from Hannants. This can be painted on with precision using a brush, even neater if you use masking tape, and then cleaned off with a damp cotton bud. I have attached a couple of photos to show it being used on a cockpit transparency. You will see that it has cleaned off at least 5 coats of paint leaving perfect surface. There are, unfortunately, some spatters on the inside!

Kiteman

Re: Strippers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »
Mr Muscle General purpose cleaner works well in a poly bag overnight. It is cheap and cheerful and does the job without attacking the plastic.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:59:56 PM »
That is what  I use.

Grumpy by name and nature

meremodeller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
What I meant to show was how just a small, precise area could be cleaned of paint in a matter of minutes. Also brilliant for cleaning brushes.

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:31:45 PM »
....and jolly effective it  is too! Thanks for sharing that with us.