Author Topic: On the right track!  (Read 2077 times)

Pen-Pusher

On the right track!
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
An EMD F45 is a C-C cowled diesel-electric locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division between 1968 and 1971. Power was provided by an EMD 645E3 20-cylinder engine which generated 3,600 hp.

After sponsoring the development of the FP45 passenger locomotive, the Santa Fe requested a similar freight locomotive from Electro-Motive. Where the FP45 was an SDP45 wrapped in a full-width Cowl carbody, the new F45 was essentially an SD45 given the same treatment.

Where the Santa Fe requested a full-width car-body for aesthetics, the Great Northern saw an opportunity to protect crews from the dangers of winter operation in northern climates.

The Santa Fe ordered two lots of twenty each, for 1968 delivery. Where the FP45s were delivered in Santa Fe's red, yellow and silver warbonnet colors, the forty F45s came in the blue and yellow freight colors. The second order of F45s were equipped with steam lines so that they could be used as trailing units on passenger consists.

Great Northern (GN) ordered an initial lot of six, for 1969 delivery. These were numbered immediately following a previous lot of SD45s. Another lot of eight was ordered before the first six arrived. All were factory-painted in the GN's blue, white and grey Big Sky Blue colors.

GN ordered twelve more for 1970 delivery - they were to be numbered 441-452 - but the GN merged into the Burlington Northern (BN) prior to delivery, so they arrived with BN numbers and BN's green, white and black Cascade Green colors.

BN followed with a final order for twenty in 1971. Afterwards they returned to ordering SD45s. This final order differed in several small ways from the GN specs.

Amerail's kit of the FP45 has long since disappeared from the model shop shelves but was still well moulded with its major components free from flash or any sink-holes. There are only twelve major pieces but a host of small attachments and windows to fit before painting (No PE parts in those days?) The plastic itself is quite hard and I suspect is the same used for the run-ready loco's of the day (late 1970's). My only difficulty was attaching the cast metal bogies to the lower chassis where super glue was certainly the call of the day.

Somewhere in my stash I have some rub-down decals for Burlington and ConRail (although I'll have to check as to whether the later company actually used these behemoths?) - however, that is some assembly and painting distant...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:07:02 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Haddock

• View Profile
Re: On the right track!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:05:31 PM »
Nowt like a bit of variety.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Spice of life they say.
Grumpy by name and nature

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:30:42 PM »
Scale/gauge please?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »
HO guage Zak though the bogies fit 00 rails perfectly.

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
HO and OO use the same gauge, one is more correct than the other, its all to do with the loading gauge.
OO - 4mm to the foot ( British)
HO - 3.5 mm to the foot  (Half O)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
A thin coat of Vallejo black and satin finish before adding the windows and guard rails to the body shell. The wheel bogies need some careful sanding as I hadn't noticed the metal-flash on the axle hubs This kit is intended to be mortorised judging by the internal lugs on the base but in this case will be a static model...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Finally finished this as a Burlington SP.45 as seen in the mid-80's. I used Microscale decals which are decades old so they tended to crack a bit. The Burlington-Green was a mix of Vallejo arcylics and the model is brush painted with a brush satin varnish coat. I had to scratch build (in progress) the railings as they had got lost somewhere and haven't fitted the couplings yet which will be authentic for the period as the model will be static.