Author Topic: Revell VIIc U-Boat 1/350  (Read 15692 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Revell VIIc U-Boat 1/350
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
Hi All,

Well I've now removed the excess wash off the deck area and the recessed detail is highlighted by wash left in it. I used a wetted brush with Turpentine initially, then used some lint free cloth and some dry cotton buds to remove the excess. The cloth and buds cannot get into the crevices so leaves the wash in place but reveals the deck colour.
It is subtle, and at moment a little glossy due to the 'Kleer', but will be toned down a bit later.
I also have now applied a Payne's Grey wash to the sides of the hull, taking time to ensure the vents on the hull sides were filled with wash. I chose Payne's Grey as opposed to black as I though black a little too stark in this scale. Again once dried after a few hours the excess will be removed.
The conning tower received a thin application of the wash to highlight the detail, hand holds, etc. moulded into the plastic. It too is a little heavy at moment and will be toned down once dry.
A few pictures of the above.........
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Roger

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
Looking good.  I agree on the Payne's Grey, a most useful colour!
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
Hi All,
I have now removed the initial wash of Payne's Grey from the hull sides using cotton buds, one moistened in Turpentine, the other end used dry to remove excess. The vents now are clearly apparent but I noticed some were less defined than others so I used a very fine 10/0 Brush and in-filled them again with Payne's Grey to make them a little more stark. I also ran some grey into the hatch openings on the deck to further highlight them. Once dry a lint free cloth was rubbed over the Hull and deck to remove excess, this time the wash was more noticeable in the vents, hinges etc.
The conning tower was also given a wipe over to remove excess wash. Once the whole thing had been allowed to 'air dry' for a few hours. I looked at the model I thought the hull sides above waterline too light. To tone this down I airbrushed Tamiya Smoke randomly along the hull sides and then a very gentle overall thin coat. At this stage it still is glossy in appearance but will be addressed at the end of the build.
Some pictures of the above:-
Cheers,
Bigkev

Roger

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »
Perhaps it should be glossy, it might be wet.  It is a boat after all!
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »
Hi Roger,
That sounds like common sense, however...............................
I think that to get the best scale effect, then a satin, or just off-matt finish will look best. Unifying all the elements to create the desired look.
But your reasoning is sound, though one I'm not going to follow on this occasion.
Cheers,
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
It looks authentic enough for me......thanks for the build explanations.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
Hi All,
Well it's nearly finished now.
I have used Oil Paints to add various streaks, rust patches along the Hull and Conning Tower. I use Oil paints as you can add a dot of paint with a very fine brush, then take a 'dry' brush and drag it in the direction of the streak you want to show.
if its too light then do it again, if its too heavy its easy to remove it with a brush moistened with turpentine. Just allow the area to dry properly and you can have another go.
Then the only decal applicable to this model was installed on the front of the conning tower.
The aerial wires are EZ line (courtesy of Mr. Haddock) and it is great stuff to work with just a little practice needed. Super glue applied in minute dots secured the end of the line, which stretches about 7 times its original length! Small isolators were added from fine PVA blobs which were then touched in with Vallejo White paint.
I then added the flag from transfers in the kit, the 'Swastikas' in the centre cross of flag being suggested by painting fine black lines in the manner of the Swastika shape. The kit moulded D/F loop was removed at the beginning of the build, this was now re-instated from fine wire wrapped around a cocktail stick and glued into place. It was later painted in dark metallic colour.
So there you have it, still not quite finished, only a quick coat of Satin Varnish to spray on, perhaps tomorrow night.
Some pictures of the above follow:-
Cheers,
Bigkev 

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 11:13:11 PM »
Excellent work Kevin - all it needs is some sea.
Now you are a fully paid up member of the dark side -- what is next ????
MSea

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
As always.... stunning!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Nice work, hope you've got the bug.
Haddock.

Roger

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
See, ships are too easy for a man of your talents.  Nice work though.

Now you have a target, how about a Beaufighter or Mosquito next?!

Roger

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
Thankyou Guys,
For all the words of encouragement. This build though a little protracted has been a very enjoyable and rewarding build. I've learnt a lot, though still a lot still to learn.
The model is now finished with a light coat of Vallejo Matt and Satin Varnish mix, (about 2 matt to 1 satin).
It gave me the desired finish I had in mind.
My next build(s) will be an Mirage U-176 Type.IX (Sturm II) 1/350, plus a Micro Mir Soviet WWII Submarine 1/350
The later kindly sent to me by Pen-Pusher to build as my confidence grew.
Both kits have some etched-brass parts, and these are the next logical step in my ship modelling foray.
Please find some photo's of this model in its final finished state.
Cheers,
Bigkev

PS. I'm sorry Roger, couldn't find any kits of Beaufighter's or Mosquitoe's in 1/350 Scale
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:36:34 PM by Bigkev »

bridlufc

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
Very impressive Bigkev, it's great when you can turn your hand to any model in any scale, hopefully I will get there sooner or later.

Bridlufc

Roger

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
No problem, which do you want - 1/350 Beaufighter or Mosquito?
R

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Hi Roger,

Don't tell me you've found these in 1/350th scale, Ulp!

Bigkev