Author Topic: Bigkev's Work in Progress 1 - Bartini-Beriev VVA- M14P  (Read 8313 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bigkev's Work in Progress 1 - Bartini-Beriev VVA- M14P
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
Hi All,

Well at last I'm back in the modelling saddle. Now my op is out of way and life getting back to normal my modelling can again start.

Currently I am working on an Anigrand Resin kit to1/144th scale.

It is a Bartini-Beriev VVA-14M1P, which was a experimental aircraft which was to ultimately led to an anti ship/submarine type using WIG (wing in ground effect).

The model is quite simple to put together, but a few ill fitting parts especially the canopy which is about 3mm short!

After much fettling model is nearing painting and finishing time. I include some pics to show general layout of model, plus one of the cockpit which I am paticuarly pleased with in such a small scale.

Should have it complete by next meeting.

Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:14:58 AM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

driffowl

Re: Bigkev's Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
 :)nice to see you yesterday and back on the website kevin 8)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Cheers Geoff,

Nice to see you also. See a bit of chopping up, superglue, and I'm good as new, or will be soon I hope.................

Bigkev

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Glad to hear you are on the mend Kev,your work in progress looks very intrigueing looking forward to seeing it at the next meet.

Regards Tony

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »
Great looking model, will it come skimming along/
Glad to hear you are ok.
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Hi All,

Well, back to the building board with this one. In my previous pictures I had got the cockpit complete ready to be closed up. I masked up the canopy prior to glueing it in position, a mind boggling and eye crossing experience!!.

Well, now I have got it on and in place. I used watchmakers glue to attach the canopy to the fuselage as it bonds well but does not craze or fog the canopy.

However before attaching I had to correct the canopy by heating it in hot, almost boiling water, then bending the canopy to the right curvature to fit, once happy plunge it into ice cold water to set it. It took two attempt but I got it somewhere near, certainly more near than before my attempt. (I then masked it prior to fitting)

Once the glue had dried I filled to joints with Mr. Surfacer 500 and got a reasonable surface, but still a little bit to correct, sanded a bit more and horrors! some of the paint peeled off. The swear box a bit heavier, I used some more filler and , when properly dry some very fine wet and dry and sanded it all down. Not Bad, but......

I could see the difference in paint levels after painting and was worried about more peeling if sanded again. So I tried this, several thin coats of Kleer Floor Polish to seal all the paint around the area, and let harden. Then I lightly (very lightly) sanded the 'Kleered' paint the resut was a smooth almost blemish free finish, and NO PEELING!.

Now I'm ready to paint it, in its finish of mainly White and Pale Grey, but that will be the next installment.

In the meantime some pics to illustrate the above.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkev's Work in Progress 1
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
Well Guys,

The little guy is back on the build, I don't have a pic to show you today but I can say that it is now painted white on top and being masked ready for the grey undersides.

Saw the article in Model Airplane by Ken Duffy, it looked very nice, but mine doesn't look too bad but you can have a good look at the club meeting, and let me know.

Just hope my white paint doesn't peel, or the swear box is going to get a deposit!!

Kit white (at moment), hair grey......................!!

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:41:38 AM »
Hi Guys,

Well just a quick update on my Bartini. As you can see, it is now been masked off and painted pale grey. Sorry about the masking, I know it does not look very neat, but I use paper and Tamiya tape to mask where ever possible. My reason isit reduces the amount of tape in contact with the model surface if you can cut a paper mask slightly smaller than the area you want  to mask and just add tape around the edges, to hold it in place and seal it.

I have used Humbrol 127 lightened with a little matt white. Although in Ken Duffys article he uses Humbrol 129, I thought this a little too dark, and my choice is a bit lighter with a 'blueish hue'. Thats what I like about modelling is you can add your own interpretation of finish. I'm not saying I'm right, but it suits me.

On the last stage now, today I will remove the masking, and touch up any areas that need attention, overspray, bleeding of paint, peeling, etc. Then I will add the silver edges to the nacelles, and exhaust staining to the engines, assemble to undercarriage(which is already painted), and make a start on the base ready, then tomorrow bring all the airframe together, add a concrete painted surface to my base and I should be there, finished in time for the meeting on monday.

Here's hoping,

Kev   

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:45:11 AM by Bigkev »

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this beast on Monday.
Have just spent the week in Mr Croppers Emporium.
Dave

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
Hi Dave,

Glad you are okay, will be bringing it along Monday. Its only a small beast.

Have removed masking and can say the paint stuck, and only had a very small bit of touching up, phew!

See you monday, we'll have a chinwag and put world to rights, again...........

Kev
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:15:36 PM by Bigkev »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Well Guys,

Finished at Last!  Finally got the last bits added, painted, and the model decalled.

The undercarraige was a swine to get all the wheels to make contact with the ground at same time took a lot of adjusting, but I got there. Also the instructions show the main undercarraige bogie back to front on assembly. Had to check on 'Seawings', a website dedicated to flying boats, seaplanes and ekranoplans to be sure. On the walk around section there are some great photo's of this machine in a rather sorry looking state at Monino in Russia. This section answered my question easily.

The decals went on well, though I might just give the whole thing another coat of satin varnish to seal them and make them appear less glossy. An enjoyable project, quite easy to build except from the areas noted throughout build, but an unusual looking machine nonetheless. Another 'oddity' is my next build???

Enjoy the pics

Kev ;)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:13:21 PM by Bigkev »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Hi Guys,

A few more pics, of the above.

Kev :D

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Excellent work, Kev, it looks even better in the flesh, so to speak.
Dave

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »
Hi Dave,

Awww Shucks................. I'm blushing now!

Kev