Author Topic: RIVETING TOOL ADVICE REQUIRED  (Read 1470 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
RIVETING TOOL ADVICE REQUIRED
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »
I'm trying to learn a new skill with each new kit I build so the next project will be converting raised panel lines into recessed ones.  I have the tool for that but there are some panels that also have rivet details and so I wouldn't mind a recommendation on which manufacturer has the best tool for the job.  After looking at a few other forums, the RB Productions Rivet-R seems to be well thought of - it's simply an insert for the exacto handle with different wheels for different spacing and the selling point appears to be that it can get into awkward areas due to it's size.  Has anyone got any experience with this thing or if not what alternatives are there?

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: RIVETING TOOL ADVICE REQUIRED
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:39:07 PM »
I have never used one of these but Mr Cropper had one in stock last time I was in.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:20:13 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
You can also try the Trumpeter Riveter. It has three/four different wheels that fit in the handle for different spacing and scale.
You use it by drawing the 'wheel' along the line where the rivets are to go, and it leaves small impressions in the plastic representing rivets.
I tried it on a 1/48 Sea Fury and got some good results. It is a cheaper option to that you have mentioned I believe and probably on the basis of 'you get what you pay for' then not as good. But it all depends on your skill (or in my case lack of it) level and perseverance.
Cheers,
Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Thanks Kev, I've had a look at the Trumpeter one but think I'll take the plunge and get the RB productions thing on the basis of the size of it and the fact that I have a spare Exacto handle doing nowt.  I don't mind the extra few quid because, as I like to say, I can't afford to buy cheap tools.  I'll let you know how I get on with it in one of my future projects.