Author Topic: The 'Pocket Battleship' in kit form.  (Read 11845 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: The 'Pocket Battleship' in kit form.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 10:28:02 AM »
Agreed. I think a lot of these 'authentic' colour-packs tend to be suspiciously high. I too have a comparison chart which I use for my favourite Tamiya Acrylics (brush painting) but have recently tried a couple of Vallejo with good results.

Many thanks,

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Agreed. I think a lot of these 'authentic' colour-packs tend to be suspiciously high. I too have a comparison chart which I use for my favourite Tamiya Acrylics (brush painting) but have recently tried a couple of Vallejo with good results.

Many thanks,
I now use Vallejo exclusively and I am well satisfied with the results.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
I also like Vallejo - when I get chance to use them - as they paint on well.  I also have a selection of Humbrol enamels and after chatting to Pete of Merseyside Modellers at Huddersfield, I'm also trying out Tamiya acrylics too - not for that elusive "authentic colour" but to see how I get on with applying them as I liked the finish he got on his small scale armour which I'm getting back into.  I picked up 10 of the larger 26ml jars ever so cheap recently so I figured it was worth a small investment.

As far as shades go, if it looks alright, that'll do for me.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
Good find there Wizzel!! I like the texture and finish of Tamiya Acrylics and their colours are pretty close to anything you need - also easy to mix!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 03:07:23 PM »
With a project in mind, the wreck (Photo 1) of the 'Spee' although now completely submerged is a subject of much interest and speculation. One area of debate is the 'unexplained' fate of the three 11" guns of the Spee's aft turret as shown missing below (Photo 2)? I have studied all the wreck photos but cannot identify them anywhere. If anyone has any info I would be very grateful....?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,

You would think that nowadays technology would be able to locate them in the debris field. A mystery, it would be nice to hear if they were 'found' and if so 'where' in relation to the wreck.

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
As a sub-note, a group of 12 new armored ships (Kreuzer P ), successors to the famous Admiral Graf Spee , Admiral Scheer and Lützow , were part of the German Z-Plan. The design studies for the three battlecruisers of the O-class (Schlachtkreuzer O, Schlachtkreuzer P, Schlachtkreuzer Q ) were simultaneous started to those of the new Panzerschiff design (Kreuzer P ) in 1937.

In 1939 it was considered to replace three of the Panzerschiffe with the same number of this new battle cruisers. Construction orders were given to Deutsche Werke, Kiel, the Kriegsmarinewerft in Wilhelmshaven and the Germaniawerft in Kiel in the same year, but none of the ships were started.

Those ships were planed with the idea of the war against commerce as a priority but with sufficient armament for combat with 9 x 11" main guns. Therefore, they should get a mixed propulsion system, diesel engines for long range medium speed cruises and additional turbines for high speed combat action. As the main task for of these battlecruisers was to engage enemy convoys and destroy transports and cargo ships, in difference to the heavy protected H-Class battleships, they would have armor protection of a cruiser only. So it's very doubtful that one of these ships would have been able to attack a well protected allied convoy with any great success.

Only one kit is available of this speculative design and that comes from Russia. HNV produce the 'Schneidheim' (A name not mentioned as being intended in any source I can find) at 1/350 scale but at a high cost of £140 (equiv) plus shipping.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 05:27:52 PM »
A friend of mine in Germany has just sent me these photos of his model of the 'Spee' (Academy 1/350) showing her 'River Plate' era camouflage scheme and the false funnel and additional forward turret (using the gun-bridge) to make her resemble an American cruiser.... note the figures Haddock!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
More...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
Here's a photo of the real thing! The Graf Spee with a pair of 'dummy' guns mounted above her forward turret. These were made of wood and came apart in three sections for storage. At a distance they looked quite convincing. The Lutzow carried a similar set but there is no record of them being used.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
Never seen those before. Very interesting to see them in model form.
Thanks,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
Here's another, maybe better view Kev! Note the support frame atop A turret to hold the lighter wooden imitations in place. Spee adopted this deception twice that I'm aware of and successfully fooled two British ships into believing they were seeing an American cruiser. Methinks there is a modelling prospect for this after all.....?