Author Topic: The 'Pocket Battleship' in kit form.  (Read 11846 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: The 'Pocket Battleship' in kit form.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
I thought you were referring to my posts there.... or are you????

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
It was a reply to Zak's post. Anybody that can do what he does with bits of plasticard and other stuff can certainly build a ship, just not in a few days, which is the normal build time for one of his masterpieces.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
It was a reply to Zak's post. Anybody that can do what he does with bits of plasticard and other stuff can certainly build a ship, just not in a few days, which is the normal build time for one of his masterpieces.
Haddock.
That's why I can't - takes too long. My bold pressure would be even higher than it is now.
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 07:23:32 PM »
I consider myself reasonably adept at aircraft recognition (WW2) but ways of telling ships apart has always escaped me - until now.  Thanks for this info PP, I shall study it in slow time and see what I can make of it all.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »
Hi Zak,

Is 'Bold Pressure' a new phenomena?

Or is it a form Ships'O'Freenia

Bigkev

I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 06:59:26 AM »
My chill spucker is not working!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 07:23:58 PM »
Getting back on course... I'd almost forgotten one of the best kits of the Spee came from the Frog stable (or should that be dock?) although, as far as I'm aware it never actually appeared under the Frog logo (correct me if I'm wrong). A couple of years before Frog 'capsized' (keeping to naval parlance?) they issued a 1/500 'Spee' to complete their Battle of the River Plate series. The mould however was curiously sold to Nichimo of Japan who issued the kit along with an 'Achilles' (Which was a 'copy' of Frog's Ajax and completely wrong). The Graf Spee kit however was very nice, good fitting and none of the usual soft-edging often found in kits of that period. Yes, one to look out for...!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:05:54 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:45 PM »
Today, I ‘acquired’ another 1/700 Graf Spee (Review to follow) from a not unknown master of modelling in Bridlington and have spent the last couple of hours drooling over the possibilities of ‘boarding and commandeering’ the dining room table for yet another modelling ‘project’ –  after the divorce!!

There has been much debate over the camouflage colours of the Graf Spee in her final metamorphous. I was convinced that the darker colour on most models and line drawings was correctly shown (like on this box art) as green but have since found out this started when the ‘on-ship' museum of the USS North Carolina (Wilmington North Carolina) ordered a model of Graf Spee in the 1950's.

Recently I’ve been ploughing through ‘The Drama of the Graf Spee and Battle of the River Plate’ anthology and came across references by Argentinian historian Guillermo Ramirez who had been in contact  with  F.K. Rasenack, a former officer on board Graf Spee (and Tirpitz) and author of a detailed book about the former. Sadly there are no colour photos of Graf Spee that I am aware of but I would take F.K. Rasenack witness report as a reference.  AJ-Press Morskie, Poland, who also published books on the Spee lately corrected their opinion too.

Many ‘wrong’ ship camouflage  colour schemes just start from personal  interpretations and some from errors on drawings etc., but I’m pretty sure that dark grey not green is most likely to be correct!

(PS. Thank that kindly 'youngster' for a very nice cuppa this afternoon)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:26:46 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
A couple of 'interesting' photos: #1 Completed model (?) of the Spee in correct colours. #2 Photo showing one side and rear of bridge superstructure showing evidence of what looks like a 3-colour scheme?

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
This " correct colour " thing is designed to drive you nuts!!

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
Remember the scale effect and so on and so forth, colour as Haddock says may drive you mad.
Depends on so many factors, sun, shade, photo, camera, film, filter, the list is endless. How thick was it applied, where was the batch made.
It really is a minefield - take your best guess and argue with those who think they know better.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
The only "correct colour" is the one you put on your model and that YOU are happy with.
After 20 years at sea the colour on the ship changes with so many factors that the rivet counters who claim "the colour is one shade out" get me mad.
MSea

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
Zak - me argue, never!

MSea - get mad - frequently!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 12:07:01 PM »
New paint set for Kriegsmarine vessels... £15.95 on eBay?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:12:38 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
Personally, I think that's a bit steep. I have a chart that converts almost every naval colour in the world (except the most modern) to Vallejo paints. Whoever has done it has done a magnificent job. Vallejo modelcolour and aircolour is available from Boyes at £2.00 a bottle so if you run out, replacements aren't far away.
Just a thought.
Haddock.