Author Topic: which superglue ?  (Read 4861 times)

driffowl

which superglue ?
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »
hi guys ,just had a mate ring me who is building a small wheel approx 15mm diameter it's copper wire and zinc tubes etc and he wants to know which superglue to use as he has tried soldering it but due to the size of the parts and his health causing a bit of the shakes he needs an easier solution,any advice would be gratefully received ,discolouration of the metal etc is not an issue as it will be painted when finished

cheers
driffowl

bridlufc

Re: which superglue ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »
Hi Geoff, regarding the superglue, it depends on how quick drying time your mate needs for the material he is using. Generally, the thicker the superglue, the longer the drying time, which gives the user more time for positioning of the part. Also, thick superglue can be used as a filling medium, so in some cases it can be used to kill two birds with one stone, eg, joining two or more parts together and filling gaps at the same time.

An 'activator' can also be used with superglue, which makes the joining of materials almost instantly once the superglue has been applied and the parts have been joined together. Spray the activator on the joined parts and it effectively cures the part instantly.

Hope this is of some help

driffowl

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
cheers tony

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:44:51 AM »
Hi Driffowl,

Have you contacted Zak our resident Alchemist?

If anyone knows about chemical reactions and which type of superglue to use, it'll be him.

Why not 'stick it' to him.

Bigkev 
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »
Al who?
Well, its quite complicated and all the points have been covered already.
He could use a thin superglue and spread baking powder over the joins while wet. This should be quite strong but will involve a lot of sanding.
Why is he using coper and zinc?
Dave
Grumpy by name and nature

driffowl

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
not sure he's ringing me back today

driffowl

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
hi guys hes basically using what hes got and the wheel is going to be a fully rotating part on an axle