Author Topic: Vallejo paint  (Read 3883 times)

bridlufc

Vallejo paint
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
Hope someone can advise me on this one. I bought a bottle of the vallejo light grey model colour paint, thinned it with acrylic thinners, sprayed it on my latest project and ended up with what I can only describe as 'rust' streaks in the paint coating. At first I thought it was moisture from my compressor as it looks very much like that, but on reflection, I don't use my airbrush often enough to warrant moisture build up. There is a moisture trap on the airline and I check it regularly but there is no significant build up of moisture.
To get me out of this problem I will have to respray with primer and then use good old humbrol enamel.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Vallejo paint
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:38:28 AM »
Hi Bridlufc,
I tend to use just water in my vallejo primer and don't have many problems other than it drying quite quick, (so only put in what you are going to spray at a time). The description of 'Rust' streaks in your paint finish might be due to moisture in airbrush compressor tank itself.
I try and drain off any moisture from the tank about every couple of months. Just need to unscrew the drain plug(normally underneath) and let any moisture out, and leave it open overnight so everything dries up.

As to repainting, yep you might need to rub down and start again, the 'rust' affected paint might lift, but you could chance it if you feel brave enough.

Bigkev ::)   
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

Re: Vallejo paint
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »
Thanks for your reply Kev, I tried thinning with water and the residue left in my mixing cup afterwards was tainted with brown flecks. So I definitely think it must be the vallejo paint. Needless to say, I lightly sanded the model and gave it a coat of primer ready to spray with humbrol enamel.