Author Topic: APPLYING FILLER  (Read 3065 times)

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
APPLYING FILLER
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
I was wondering what your methods are for applying filler.  I've used it before, my impatience or lack of time has meant that the results were not ideal.  Now I finally have my own space and am getting the time to spend on building a kit properly I'm keen to know what you use and how you apply it.  I imagine the method may vary depending on the size and shape of the area you have to fill.  Please go into as much detail as you like. 

I've a tube of Squadron Green Putty that works quite nicely for me and I generally rub it in place with me finger then sand away the excess - and there's usually quite a bit of excess with my "Henry Cooper" methods (splash it all over - mmm, Brut aftershave was green too wasn't it?) .  I imagine this flies in the face of what you are supposed to do - or at least what is considered to be "best practice"?

Kiteman

Re: APPLYING FILLER
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
I have and use a small range of spatulas and dental scrapers. They are a little flexible on the end and allow for a good amount of pressure to get the stuff into the joint or gap and thanks to the various forms one can Limit the amount of filler that ouzes left and right. Sometimes when i have an awkward area to fill I cut a piece of thin plastic card to suit and use that. It works well.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
I use dental probes and scarpers as well as cocktail sticks sanded to shape and anything else that is handy.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
What is a dental scarper? Ssomeone who runs away from dental appointments???

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:55 PM »
Sorry a spilling urror agin!

Haddock

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:23:30 PM »
Oh shut!!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Back to some serious help.........................

Hi Wizzel,
I use mainly an old nail manicure tool. its the little blue thing, your DCOS may have one in her make up kit.
Pinch it......................if you dare!
Also I find that some wax carving tools, can be used to good effect. These can be found at the likes of 'The Range' and 'Hobbycraft' to name two. They have various ends which can be used to get into difficult places, or allow filler the be applied and smoothed out.
Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
I hope my next is always better

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 07:06:29 AM »
Back to some serious help.........................

Hi Wizzel,
I use mainly an old nail manicure tool. its the little blue thing, your DCOS may have one in her make up kit.
Pinch it......................if you dare!
Also I find that some wax carving tools, can be used to good effect. These can be found at the likes of 'The Range' and 'Hobbycraft' to name two. They have various ends which can be used to get into difficult places, or allow filler the be applied and smoothed out.
Bigkev

Boyes also sell a set of these wax carvers £6.00 I think.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »
Fantastic, thanks everyone.  I was spending more time washing me finger afterwards than I was applying the filler!  No, I'm not that daft, I do use other things such as bits of balsa, cocktail sticks etc but it's always good to know what other folk use - I would never have thought of the wax carving tools for instance.  All good information and as we all know; Information is not knowledge.  Knowledge is not wisdom.  Wisdom is not truth.  Truth is not beauty.  Beauty is not love.  Love is not modelling.  Modelling is the best.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
Hi Wizzel,

Very philosophical.............................. and true!!

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:44 AM »
Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz, which is now extinct.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »
Yesterday I picked up one of those wax carving sets from Boyes - thanks Zak - £6.00 for 12 double ended devices!!!!  It was used in anger for the first time on wing roots - my most hates area to fill and sand - and worked a treat.  Thanks again Zak!  I reckon I can also use the tools to wrap wet and dry around to sand too so I'm a bit (lot) more confident that my finishes will improve.  Just got to work on the painting now....

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »
Keep the Boyes happy!

Kiteman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »
That was a small investment for Wizzel but a giant leap for his filling..........just to abuse a Quote!

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »
I am now much more confident in filling - and sanding - so thanks for all your tips.

Another one I picked up that was passed to me from Kitey via one of his club members was to mix some SGP with liquid poly cement to thin it down and then apply it.  I tried it recently and am very impressed.  At first it "curdled" a little and I thought "oh (insert expletive here), it's melting me kit" but it doesn't.  It dries hard and smooth and is easier to get into small crevices.  You may already know this but if not, give it a go.  Next topic will be airbrush tips I think as I've turned that corner with the construction.