Author Topic: Quick builds  (Read 1996 times)

bridlufc

Quick builds
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Hi all, in between building the Revell 1/72 B1-B Lancer and the Revell 1/72 S100 Schnellboot, I have been dabbling with a Playfix Beriev B-6 float plane and the first instalment of the two IL 40s that I have thinking that they would be "quick builds". Considering building straight from the box, the Il 40s prove to be slightly difficult in their own right, but the Beriev really tests the patience or curiosity of the builder. The instructions are pretty vague in that there is no colour reference as to what colour the finish would be . Using the box art, the overall appearance would indicate Russian Aircraft Green, which I duly did, but, then on checking the box art again, it appeared that under the wings and fuselage were painted light blue. I did a quick check on Wikipedia which had a pretty good picture of a BE-6 which means my quick build goes straight out of the window.

Regards Bridlufc

driffowl

Re: Quick builds
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »
just finished this old airfix kit purchased for the princely sum of £1 at brid car boot ,in keeping with the club motto

[attachment deleted by admin]

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
Nice model there Geoff. The more I search for photos of the Beriev Be6 on the internet the more interesting it gets. I should have done it sooner as the Playfix kit is not a true reflection of the actual aircraft. I suppose it shows that a little research beforehand pays off, but on the other hand it has tested my modelling skills to say the least and allowed me to try out modelling techniques I am unfamiliar with such as restoring raised panel lines lost due to sanding down. Anyway, the Beriev is near completion and hopefully will be displayed at the next club meet.

Regards Tony

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
I used mainly Vallejo paint on the Beriev and  must admit I was very impressed with Vallejo paint. The first instalment of the Amodel Il 40 is proving to be a bit of a challenge, the parts when joined together are a poor fit, locating lugs would help and the plastic appears soft.  Amodel produce bigger kits with a price to suit,  but I would be reluctant to purchase one considering the poor fit of the parts on the Il 40

Regards Tony

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
Nice looking build - great stuff.
Obergruppenfuhrer Geoff.
Grumpy by name and nature