Author Topic: Revell 1/72 B-1B Lancer  (Read 4002 times)

bridlufc

Revell 1/72 B-1B Lancer
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Hi all, after vowing not to start another kit until I had finished all the others that I have started over the years, nudge nudge wink wink!!! For 1/72 scale, this kit is a bit meaty beaty big and bouncy (name the group?) The plastic is nice and sturdy, but the injection moulding is a bit heavy and a bit close to the plastic parts. This calls for a bit of filling and sanding where the parts have been removed from the sprue. I am still in the early stages but I have already encountered problems. There are four pilots in the kit, three are posed in the seated position and the fourth is posed climbing up a ladder in to the cockpit. The pilots posed in the seated position all have their arms and legs in the same pose which is the first problem. I had no problem fitting the two pilots in the front seats of the cockpit tub but there was no way I could fit the seated pilot in one of the rear seats without the poor blighter losing one of his legs!! The instructions showed step by step painting and transfer positions for the cockpit tub but when the tub was offered up to the upper fuselage half, the pilots, cockpit detail and transfers in the rear cannot be seen!!
This is a swing wing aircraft and the wings are next on the agenda. Fitting the upper and lower wing halves together leaves a slight 'overhang', which was remedied with the flexi-i-file, which I must say I was rather impressed with, as none of the wing contour was lost.
More to follow

Regards Bridlufc

driffowl

Re: Revell 1/72 B-1B Lancer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
who ? lol

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
Correct!! Geoff

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
Hi all, having had an unplanned, unexpected and unwanted vacation with Mr Chest Infection for nigh on a fortnight, one hitherto unknown to man, I might add!!! I am slowly getting back into 'The SOR' (the serious operations room). Back with the Lancer, the engine halves and the upper and lower fuselage halves when joined together where rather a poor fit. I suppose it comes with no surprise with a kit this size in 1/72. Needless to say a fair bit of filling and sanding is required and some raised panel line detail will be lost but this can be remedied with some masking tape and some Mr Surfacer 500. I used the solvent applicator from Flexi-I-File, and to be honest, it trailed solvent not only down the seams to be joined but it also trailed solvent where it wasn't wanted in what I can only describe as unavoidable overspill. So beware if you have purchased this tool but have yet to use it.

Regards Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
Hi Bridlufc,

Well, I'm sorry about your chest infection, but at least it has given you time to focus on some modelling.

Hope you get well, but still carry on with the build with gusto!!!!!!!!

Get well soon,

Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
Hi Bigkev, thanks for the sentiments. I think it is always the case with 'us' modellers that the mind is always willing but quality time actually modelling is a bit hit and miss due to unexpected events that always come along. I look upon those times, now and again, as divine intervention and it lets me sit back and ponder a problem that sometimes or usually occurs mid build. I have to steel myself not to push the build back into the stash because of the problem, and then start a new build where inevitably,  I am probably going to end up with another problem. Swings and roundabouts I suppose, don't you just love modelling???

Regards Bridlufc

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
Just look on it as a challenge, I do (Ha, ha -wish it was)
Grumpy by name and nature

bridlufc

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
Hi all, back to the Lancer. I am slowly becoming disillusioned with this kit after doing the part of modelling I find really tedious,  masking canopies. Hopefully, if the pictures have uploaded, you will see what I mean.  The shape of the cockpit canopy no way resembles where it is supposed to fit so I will have to pack out with shims made from plasticard. the additional photos show how much filling and sanding needs to be done. Some of you will know I acquired this kit in 1/48, all I can say is 'GULP'

Regards Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Oh well, obviously my photos have not uploaded so you will just have to use your imaginations.

Regards Bridlufc

bridlufc

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
I am slowly chipping away at the lancer but I am really disappointed with the overall fit. I am concentrating on the undercarriage and the ordnance at the moment as they will be added to the bodywork nearer the end of the build and will need pre-painting anyway. The problem is the size of the fuselage is large for 1/72and would benefit from some form of bracing from the inside as it requires rather a lot of handling during the construction process. I am constantly having to repair the join between the upper and lower halves of the fuselage because of the weakness due to the size of the fuselage. Me being a novice, hadn't noticed this, but I suppose it wouldn't be out of the realms of the kit manufacturers to include this in the kit instructions, seeing as they commission someone to build a model for advertisement purposes.  Luckily, I have another lancer kit to build so I will be able to learn from building this one.

Regards Tony

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:21 AM »
How about some pictures?

bridlufc

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
Tried that uploading pictures lark before and they never appeared on my post, something about resizing them, seems like too much hassle to me.

Regards Tony

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
I use Fatstone photoresizer.
The alternative would be to set your camera to a lower resolution.
Dave