Author Topic: Airfix Heinkel He-111H6 1/72 converted to a H8 Ariel 'Balloon Fender'  (Read 2857 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
This is my next project a Heinkel He-111 H8 with a Balloon Fender.
The basis of the kit is the Airfix Heinkel He-111 H6 model, to which I will scratch build the Balloon fender from plastic card and strip. There are some other modifications to be made which I will do as the build goes along.

My initial interest arose with an article in the old August 1975 Airfix Magazine which showed a conversion by John Burgess of the then Airfix Heinkel He-111 H20 into a H-8 variant.
The H-8 was a subvariant of the earlier H series, where a number of H-4 airframes were converted in the field, by having a large metal fender attached by booms and extending in front of the aircraft. The idea was to use the aircraft against important targets that were heavily defended by barrage balloons. The aircraft were to fly into the target area and use the fender to push aside the mooring line, which would then pass down to the wingtip of the aircraft, and the cable cut by cable cutters fitted to the tips of the wing. 
To compensate for the fender equipment, some 800kg of ballast was fitted into the rear fuselage which had a detrimental effect on the flying characteristics and the amount of bomb load that could be carried.
These aircraft were employed briefly on operations, but withdrawn after a short time as not being really successful on operations. The fender equipment was removed and the aircraft then found further use as glider tugs.

At this stage I have just done some test fitting of the fuselage main components, central wing and tailplanes. I am impressed with the fit of these items, but time to remove all attachment points from the sprues is needed, the tolerances are so fine. I will be drawing on Bill's build of the Airfix He-111 P2 version, which was released before the H6 variant. Bill highlighted a few minor points to watch out for during the build and will be taking his advice.

Some pictures to start the project.
Bigkev
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:36:45 PM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Airfix Heinkel He-111H6 1/72 converted to a H8 Ariel 'Balloon Fender'
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 07:43:14 AM »
No doubt about it, another one to watch.
Grumpy by name and nature

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 02:28:58 PM »
Looks like an interesting build Kevin.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 03:49:17 PM »
Good luck with this one, no doubt you'll make a great model. I knew I'd seen this produced as a kit in the past and tracked it down on Scalemates as a Hasegawa release but you'll have all the fun and save yourself some money!! I also have the Airfix article in my collection of Airfix mags.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »
Hi Chris,
Yes, I will save quite a bit of money. I made a He111 H8 in 1/144th about 25 years ago, so this won't be my first attempt at converting.
The article used as a start point dates from 1975, long before the Hasegawa incarnation, which was an updated tool of their basic Heinkel, although it is a good kit.
It'll keep me out of trouble.........?
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »
Hi All,
Returned back to this after a short while whilst work, show stuff got in way. I referred to Bill's build of the Heinkel He-111 P and noted the gap where the wing root was in the nose. Bill used plastic card to disguise this. I have taken a slightly different route using White Milliput to fill the offending areas. I have applied it to both the fuselage sides at the nose, and also in the root of the wing centre section. When dry, I will carve and sand these to match the fuselage contours.
As a H-8 variant the forward two fuselage windows are plated over on the real aircraft so the clear parts have been stuck in place and will then be sanded flush and filled if necessary.
Some pictures,
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 10:59:25 AM »
You have been busy.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 03:12:13 PM »
Very busy Kevin.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
This ones back on the build desk, just done a bit of assembly and painting.
Will post pictures soon.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Just to share a picture of the painting done so far.
The Engine Radiators are painted gunmetal so the engines can be assembled.
All interior surfaces that need painting have had a base coat of Rubber Black, this will then be overcoated in RLM Grey.
Keep tuned.
Cheers,
Bigkev

chriswil42

• View Profile
Progress. Looking good.
Chris

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Chris,
As promised, this is the 2nd and 3rd stages of painting the RLM Grey in the interior areas.
Firstly two thin coats of Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey were airbrushed onto the black cockpit and fuselage sections. Once dry, I made a lighter mix of XF-22 RLM Grey and XF-20 medium grey to the ratio of 3 to 1. This was the randomly applied in patches within the fuselage. The result is a varied coloured interior, some areas that are deeper the Rubber Black shows through more, the highlighted areas appear on the surfaces of the raised sections.
Next stage is detail painting and then a gloss coat, followed by a wash of Burnt Umber Oil Paint and Turpentine.
Some pictures of the painting to date.
Cheers,
Bigkev

zak

• View Profile
Excellent work.

chriswil42

• View Profile
A lot of black.