Author Topic: KATANGA - Bush Wars Pt.3  (Read 5892 times)

cph64

• View Profile
KATANGA - Bush Wars Pt.3
« on: November 05, 2020, 04:59:34 PM »
No doubt many of us will remember that when a young Lenny Henry started his career his catchphrase was 'Katanga!!'. But how many of knew that Katanga was a real place and had an air force? I know I didn't. In 1960 the Province of Katanga seceded from Congo-Leopoldville causing the UN to provide aid for the Congolese Authority whilst Katanga asked Belgium for help and used colonial-era aircraft including D.H.Doves and mercenary pilots. The conflict was to continue until the UN victory in 1963.
Fast forward too may years than I care to remember and I decided that I wanted to build a model of the Saab Tunnan. There's something about this squat little plane that I find appealing and having read good reviews I bought the Tarangus kit which has markings for a UN plane in the Congo being injection with resin parts. Another plane I think looks good is the D.H. Dove and I managed to get the Top Gun resin kit at a knock down price, which included Aeroclub white metal u/c and propellers as a bonus. Searching the web I found that Whirlybird did an Update set relating to Katangan Doves which includes markings for 5 a/c plus vac-formed bulged windows for one option. The only set I could source was in Amsterdam, which was a bit of a bummer as Whirlybird are from Wombwell near Barnsley, and the postage cost more than the set!!!

chriswil42

• View Profile
Re: KATANGA - Bush Wars Pt.3
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
I think you could deal directly with Whirlybird models. They do answer their emails in a reasonable time even though you can't purchase through their website.
An interesting aircraft from a little known period.
Chris

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 02:59:34 PM »
Work started today after all the parts have had a wash. The Tunnan has some ejector pin marks in some awkward places and these will have to be removed. The Dove has wing warpage which will need to be corrected, one side of the fuselage is missing parts of the aiframe at window level and there are many small parts to clean up. These two definitely aren't going to be quick builds!!

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:21:10 AM »
Warped wing, ouch!

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 03:31:22 PM »
A steady day spent removing casting blocks from parts. Most of the Tunnan cockpit is fitted as well as the u/c bays. When the intake tube is put in place there will be very little room for nose weight. Luckily there appears to be enough space below the cockpit.
The seats for the Dove were prepared and fitted. These are generic and handed so care has to be taken to ensure that the arm rests are aisle side in the passenger compartment but the opposite way in the cockpit. Work was also done repairing the window frames.

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
Work started today after all the parts have had a wash. The Tunnan has some ejector pin marks in some awkward places and these will have to be removed. The Dove has wing warpage which will need to be corrected, one side of the fuselage is missing parts of the aiframe at window level and there are many small parts to clean up. These two definitely aren't going to be quick builds!!
What a great little fighter the Tunnan was. A much overlooked airplane.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
Indeed it is Andy. Slow progress due to repairs to the resin casting and sourcing colours on the Dove as well as working out most of the cockpit canopy framing as the moulding is very faint and leaves a lot to be desired. I'm also working out the best way to approach the passenger compartment glazing, probably clear sheet behind and then Glue and Glaze to build up to the correct thickness. The Tunnan has had two thin coats of Tamiya alumnium and I'll use Vallejo and Citadel paints to vary the finish before varnishing.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 04:23:03 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Chris

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 03:19:42 PM »
 8) nice.
Andy.
Andy

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »
After a delay including building 1:1 scale bathroom furniture I managed to get the Tunnan completed. The kit is of the J29A/B which has the straight wing leading edge. As and Bs differ only in internal fuel volume and neither had an afterburner. 10 29Bs served in the Congo with no losses and non were camouflagued. Whilst this is hailed as the best kit of the Tunnan on the market the instructions can lead you astray, ask me how I know!!! They show the combing behind the cockpit tight up behind the seat, it should be at the cockpit apex, and the gunsight on top of the front combing. I found this error when trying to fit the front glazing. Also if using the UN markings the underwing ones should be applied before fitting the pylons and tanks. Otherwise it's a great looking model. I finished it in Tamiya Matt Aluminium with panels picked out in Vallejo Silver and Citadel Runefang Steel. Weathering is Flory Sand.
Further work in progress on the Dove, nose ground out to allow wheel bay to fit also cockpit floor altered for same. Cabin glazing fitted using clear sheet surrounding vacform canopies and  the wings tidied up and clamped together whilst setting.

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
Nice paintwork on the Tunnan Chris.
Chris

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »
Nice paintwork on the Tunnan Chris.
Agreed.
Grumpy by name and nature

cph64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:16 PM »
Thanks. Glazing fitted to the Dove, including the bulged front port window then lots of weight added into the nose and under the cockpit floor before closing the body up using lots of superglue, clamps, rubber bands and cursing!! PPP used to fill any gaps, especially the one at the rear of the cockpit. Despite being superglued and clamped the wing halves didn't want to stay together so it's Round 2 there.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 04:52:30 PM »
Persevere Chris,
You will succeed in the end.
Didn't realise that the 'Dove' would be such a builders challenge.
Hats off to you Sir!
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

councilman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 06:22:02 PM »
After a delay including building 1:1 scale bathroom furniture I managed to get the Tunnan completed. The kit is of the J29A/B which has the straight wing leading edge. As and Bs differ only in internal fuel volume and neither had an afterburner. 10 29Bs served in the Congo with no losses and non were camouflagued. Whilst this is hailed as the best kit of the Tunnan on the market the instructions can lead you astray, ask me how I know!!! They show the combing behind the cockpit tight up behind the seat, it should be at the cockpit apex, and the gunsight on top of the front combing. I found this error when trying to fit the front glazing. Also if using the UN markings the underwing ones should be applied before fitting the pylons and tanks. Otherwise it's a great looking model. I finished it in Tamiya Matt Aluminium with panels picked out in Vallejo Silver and Citadel Runefang Steel. Weathering is Flory Sand.
Further work in progress on the Dove, nose ground out to allow wheel bay to fit also cockpit floor altered for same. Cabin glazing fitted using clear sheet surrounding vacform canopies and  the wings tidied up and clamped together whilst setting.
Great Job. Lovely clean model.
Andy.
Andy