Author Topic: Lavochkin Revisited  (Read 11097 times)

Biggles

• View Profile
Re: Lavochkin Revisited
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »
I know I'm joining this discussion late, but can I say what an excellent way of 're-displaying' a "damaged" model.
I'm starting to think more about displaying my models in diorama settings rather than just as stand-alone model.

Must move on to read all the other topics now!!!
Biggles

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
Well done Biggles - go for it as Haddock says a ship model should be in water, and I think all other models should be displayed in a diorama.  We might even get you into zombies - hohohoho
MSea

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
You are a very creative guy.
To make all that from bits and bobs, and explaining how you did it can only benefit the rest of us.
Thanks,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 10:06:02 AM »
Just a quick update.  I did a bit of work on the colours of the posts last night and drilled locating holes.  Here they are placed (not yet fixed) this morning.  I will look with fresh eyes at lunchtime do a final slightly darker wash or dry brush to tone things down and touch up those that I'm not happy with although having just previewed them on "the big screen and considering they are 1/72 scale, I'm very pleased with them - especially the first two on the left.     

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
I think they look fine, great scenic work - railway modelling next.
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
I think they look fine, great scenic work - railway modelling next.

No move into the dark side and do a ship
MSea

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
I could incorporate both and do a cutaway diorama of a section of the "Chunnel" from the surface to the bed of the English Channel.  I'm in the process of ordering some clear cast resin for my next project as it happens!!!  ;D

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
I could incorporate both and do a cutaway diorama of a section of the "Chunnel" from the surface to the bed of the English Channel.  I'm in the process of ordering some clear cast resin for my next project as it happens!!!  ;D
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - what scale though?
Grumpy by name and nature

MSea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2020, 03:41:20 PM »
Knowing Wizz it will be 1;1 scale - hohohoh
MSea

chriswil42

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »
A very impressive diorama. Like Neil, I may have to consider doing one.
Chris

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
I think it's a brilliant idea "recycling" an older/damageds kit and creating a diorama out of it.
I look forward to seeing it 'in the plastic'... in the fullness of time. 

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 09:30:58 PM »
Hi Biggles,
Will we need more table space, when we next meet?
Some of this stuff presented on the website is fabulous. Never known so much skill is out there.
Contributor's, keep it up.
Looks like a bumper meet, when we are allowed.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:48 AM »
I was thinking exactly the same Kev.  We may have to have a meeting every night for a week to catch up and have people bring their kits in by surname in alphabetical order!

Anyway, when I took Prints out for his walk on the golf course last night, I found a nice piece of wood lying about doing nowt so I brought it back so I could try and replicate the effect as it was exactly the finish I was after.  I made my posts a touch darker than the real wood for the purpose of "scale colour" and I'm stuck in this dilemma now of whether they are now too dark.  I thought they were too light before so I'm just going to draw a line under it and be sensible.  It's nature after all and wood is all kinds of different shades!  The posts are now finished and glued in place at just over 1" distance (6 foot) which at first, even though it would be correct in real life, I thought looked too close on the diorama but when the aircraft is in place, looks "good enough".  Rails tonight and a whole weekend ahead to work on them and the figures.

Biggles

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 05:25:02 PM »
They say ingenuity is the mother of invention, and it certainly is in your case Wizzel!

The first meeting we have after this dreadful pandemic is over will be a cracker!

We'll have all built so many models in the intervening weeks/months, the tables will be sagging under the weight!

chriswil42: A Sycamore or a Belvedere landing in a jungle setting would be a good diorama for you perhaps!!??!!

The way this blasted Special Hobby Fiat BR.20 is going together, or not as the case may be, might mean it ends up on the Shelf of Doom to be tackeld again at a later date... or perhaps never!

I've staterd looking at Spitfires and Hurricanes again for easier options... aaaarrrggghhh!
Biggles 

Red Lancer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »
Hi Wizzel
 The posts you made look excellent. I see that you also found a bit of wood when out walking.
I've collected odd its of twig, root, moss, stone etc for years when in garden or anywhere really.
 I just store them in my model cupboard with the rest of the rubbish!

The diorama really looks good!