Author Topic: RAF-100  (Read 3585 times)

Pen-Pusher

RAF-100
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:18:59 AM »
My RAF-100 'tribute' build starts this evening...?

Pen-Pusher

Re: RAF-100
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »
My RAF-100 tribute is indeed the Tucano, which holds some nice memories for Mrs D and myself. In fact, it was she who suggested this build.

Despite this kit's age, it is a nice build although a little patience is needed when fitting the nose wheel-bay and cockpit basin. The wings attached to the fuselage really well. A small amount of filler will be required and smoothed over with a nail polish remover dipped cotton bud. This is a fantastic way to fill small gaps in areas such as wing roots or hard to access areas without destroying fine detail (make sure the remover is of the acetone type) along the filler area. The moist cotton bud softens and smooths the filler into place perfectly, removing any excess in the process. Once dry the whole process can be repeated if required.

Where the underside, one-piece lower wing abutts to the fuselage requires sanding to eradicate the join line. Care is needed to preserve the complex shape of the rear lower wing, complicated by the ventral aerials close proximity to the join lines. Once the wings and tailplanes were on, I realised that the trailing edges need thinning out as they have a real “chunky” look to them, reminiscent of earlier Airfix kits.

The exhausts were cleaned up and hollowed out with a drill. I've elected to leave the exhausts off for the time being as fitting now might cause problems at a later date. All in all, as I hope these pre-finishing photos show, the kit is a nice fit and enjoys a pleasing subject.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »
The most glaring problem with this kit is the 'solid' exhausts. It is necessary to hollow these out as best you can to give the aircraft a better 'look'. It's delicate and time-consuming but judge for yourself and tell me if it's worth it? To start with I used a sharp pointed blade to mark the centre and then 'finger-drilled a small hole...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
A three-sided pointed file was used to enlarge...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
... before using a rounded blade to increase the diameter of the hole. You have to be careful to ensure the side thickness remains constant and you'll never get it to scale - but when you compare the before and after effect, it does make a difference I think? Certainly, when fitted it's not too bad.

bridlufc

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »
I like the distinctive sound of the Shorts Tucano when they fly over, but not for much longer apparently.  When  I worked out in the fields in the late 80s and early 90s they were constantly flying over as were the A10 Thunderbolts, a sight to behold when there were four at a time, sadly no longer.

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
I share these sentiments. I was invited to a 'Sunset Salute' at Leeming some years ago and watched four of these wonderful little planes do a fabulous fly pass into the setting sun at the end of the day. The new Texan (photo) outwardly will look very similar to many in the sky - but I will miss the Tucano.

That love and appreciation aside, the undercarriage of the Airfix rendition is not well-suited to my arthritic fingers... but with a little perseverance?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »
First coat of mid-stone for the Tucano. (Don't worry about the cockpit details... that's in hand) I'm using Scale-75 paint (Arcylic) and suspect this is made by Vallejo anyway.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:16:31 PM »
Painting and decal fixing is now underway...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
The hardest decision to make in finishing this Tucano was the prop and spinner colours. When the a/c was first painted in this special anniversary scheme the prop blades were black with yellow tips and the spinner bright red to reflect the most common scheme worn by a/c in the desert during WWII.
Within a short period however, damage to the spinner saw it replaced with a silver one (unpainted?) and at that time the yellow prop-tips also disappeared. Finally, before the demo-season started, the spinner was once more painted red and the customary black/white striping returned to the front face of the prop blades.

bridlufc

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
A toss of the coin then........?!!

Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
A toss of the coin then........?!!

Bridlufc

Oh no.........!
Don't let Pen-Pusher use that double headed coin again............!
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better