Author Topic: 1/72 Revell Hurricane restoration.  (Read 959 times)

Pen-Pusher

1/72 Revell Hurricane restoration.
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »
I've bored you with several hurricane builds but thought i'd 'show off' this rescue and restoration job. the kit was partly built by someone else, passed over to me for some TLC and decals were supplied by another modeller plus advice from the sources below. A great example of international modelling...

On arrival in Finland, HC-454 was painted according to contemporary British standards, i.e., upper sides in a Dark Green and Dark Earth pattern with the underside of the nose, rear fuselage and horizontal tail in aluminium dope. The underside of the port wing was black and the starboard white.The colour division went at the centre line of the fuselage for the 'length' of the wing only.

In the basic overhaul, the aircraft was subsequently painted in a warpaint scheme introduced on 30 September 1940. The upper side was olive green with broad black-green irregular stripes. The lower surfaces were originally in aluminium dope but after May1942 either received a light blue-grey or light grey (HC-454) DN-color.

With the mobilization on 18 June 1941 a 50 cm wide yellow band was painted around the rear fuselage and wing tips on the undersurface underneath. From 1 September the nose was painted yellow at the width of 75 cm or more seldom 50 cms.These colours were on these Hurricanes to the end of their service

HC-454 wore all colour schemes during its service life and was removed from the Air Force inventory on 2 January1950.

My thanks to Ville Siltanen of the Finnish Air Force Museum and Col. Di Juutilainen, FAF