Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost (New mould)  (Read 6128 times)

Pen-Pusher

Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost (New mould)
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
The BAC Jet Provost was a British jet trainer used with the Royal Air Force (RAF) from 1955 to 1993. It was originally developed by Hunting Percival from the earlier piston engine-powered Percival Provost basic trainer, and later produced by the British Aircraft Corporation (BAC). In addition to the multiple orders that were placed for the RAF, the Jet Provost also attained several export deals with overseas operators, resulting in the type serving in many air forces worldwide. The design was also further developed into a more heavily armed variant for ground attack mission, which was marketed as the BAC Strikemaster.

This is the second incarnation of this aircraft from Airfix and follows the original from the 1960's Moulded in light grey plastic, it is tooled to the high standard we now expect from this company but to get it 'right' I find it needs a little effort.

Despite the super detailing and moulding there are a few minor problems of 'fit' you can avoid. I removed a sliver of plastic from each 'female' location point (Photo #1) and found this improved the fit immediately. Also remove the bevelled edge of the cockpit basin - a couple of light strokes with a file is enough(Photo #2).

I know I'm being pedantic and a coat of liquid cement and some pressure will probably do the same but on the first build I wasn't too impressed by the fit around the nose and these steps do seem to help? (Photo #3 dry fitting)

Pen-Pusher

Re: Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost (New mould)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
On my first build of the JP I tried to be clever and fit the intakes before joining the wings and fuselage? That caused me endless headaches so please follow the instructions!! However, the fit of the splitter-blade and intakes isn't perfect by any means, so my advice is after assembling both parts, remove a small half-moon shape at the rear of the splitter-blade (See left-hand assembled one below) and ensure the mated wing and forward fuselage edges are glued 'tight' and level.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »
A further aid to ensuring a perfect fit is by removing the outward bevelled top edge of the splitter-blade (See right-hand unassembled one below) before inserting.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
We learn as we progress! Having frequently criticized Airfix for some of their heavy-handed engraved detail, I inadvertently 'lost' the twin lights found in the nose of their Jet Provost during the first build process. Launching into my second JP I have removed the lights completely to be refilled with Crystal Kleer or some other product suitable for replicating these at the end of this particular build. (Apologies for poor photograph)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
Major sub-assemblies together now and a quick brush with primer to check joins. That little advance work on the intakes seems to have paid off!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:55:39 PM »
A couple of thin brush-coats of Vallejo

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »
I've always wanted to say '...and here's one I did earlier.'

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,
That certainly is a different scheme to what I was expecting. What air force does it belong to, certainly not a European one.
Nice work.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
I actually saw the first of these arrive in Khormaksar in Sept '67 before we (RAF) withdrew from Aden. During 1967 the British Government, preparing for the Independence of its former protectorate of South Arabia, set about creating the South Arabian Air Force. Headquartered at Khormaksar, it was to be initially equipped with four C-47's and six Beaver's for communications and transport tasks, six Sioux AH.1's for Observation and for offensive duties. Four former Royal Air Force Jet Provost T.MK.4's were converted to armed T.MK.52's with four more to follow during 1968.

All theJP's were delivered by crate to Khormaksar in '67 ( 2 during September and 2 during November ), where they were re-assembled and put into service. The South Arabian roundel and fin flashes were worn for only a brief period, for in December the country was reamed South Yemen, and with that, came new markings. A preserved JP in the UK carries the SAAF markings today. All I have to do is find an unwanted Airfix Beaver...?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
Despite all attempts with set/sol solutions etc., (even turning briefly to the black arts), I finally bucketed the kit's decal sheet and decided on this option, a member of the RAF Macaws aerobatic team. As is my want, I will paint the red tail and tip-tanks after finishing the decals for the rest of the plane and varnishing.

Note. The 'dollop' of blue tack is my handling device!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:47:47 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
Aaaaah, you fooled me!
So it was 'one you made earlier'
Never mind, still want to see what develops with the one in build at the moment...........
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
Progressing...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Continuing with the Airfix Jet Provost the cockpit too requires some attention before affixing. The rear section has a slight lip of about 0.5mm - not much you might think but in this scale it looks like a shelf as opposed to the flush fit it should have. I'd advise removing just a 'scrape' of plastic and paint (Photo #1) from the surrounds to ensure it lies snug (Photo #2/3). You have tow options with this kit - open and closed canopy and Airfix have thoughtfully moulded separate pieces to allow for this. With the open canopy you have a slightly wider part which fit nicely over the aforementioned rear section - so make sure you chose the right one!

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »
Looking nice.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »