Author Topic: Mine Laying Submarine - Revell's U-VIID  (Read 1724 times)

Pen-Pusher

Mine Laying Submarine - Revell's U-VIID
« on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
The Type VII U-boat first appeared as the VIIA in 1936. While it was not the best submarine in any particular aspect, it was the most successful submarine of the Second World War, forming the backbone of the U-boat force throughout the war. The Type VII became the main craft of the U-boat force for two reasons. The first was technical. It had the range, sea worthiness, armament, and maneuverability to conduct an anti-shipping war in the North Atlantic. Additionally, the Type VII was relatively cheap and could be built quickly using mass-production techniques.

Of 31 patrols carried out by Type VIIDs between the Spring of 1942 and the end of the war, only nine were mine-laying missions. The six Type VIIDs sank ten ships for a total 42,622 tons. After May 1943, the remaining Type VIIDs were stripped of their 88mm deck guns and given a second flak platform over the first two mine silos. In 1945, U-218 was fitted with a snorkel.

For those who do not have 4 cubic linear feet of storage space to display a Revell 1/72 scale U-boat, the 1/350 Type VIID is a good substitute. The kit has excellent surface detail and looks like it was pantographed down from the larger model. The raised rivet and weld line detail looks quite effective, while the deck is slatted correctly and the drain holes are deep enough to look accurate. The kit looks relatively simple, with a total of 93 parts on three dark grey sprues.

I think some care will be needed separating some of the smaller pieces from their sprue but this is another kit you can easily complete in a couple of hours working and it's large enough to show off some good detail even after several brushed coats of Vallejo acrylics.

Finally, the instructions are very complete, providing alternative paint schemes and markings for each of the Type VIID U-boats of the class at various points in their careers. It's a while since I built a sub so this is to be continued...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:20:46 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Laying Submarine - Revell's U-VIID
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »
Hi Pen-Pusher,

Are you sure this is the 1/144th kit? I think it is the Revell Type VIID 1/350 version kit number 05107.

I have the same kit, and all parts are identical to my 1/350 version. Also the picture of your instruction sheet shows the kit number as 05107.
I might be wrong...............
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

Re: Mine Laying Submarine - Revell's U-VIID
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
Apologies....must be the drink!