Author Topic: Panda Models 1/48 F-35B  (Read 1675 times)

bridlufc

Panda Models 1/48 F-35B
« on: June 17, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
I often have two or three models on the go as this allows for glue or paint drying time.  This is a nice detailed kit with minimal filling and sanding on the fuselage which is welcome. There is a slight gap at the bottom of the vertical stabilisers which was filled with the plastic lid of a takeaway coffee cup and Tamiya extra thin cement, as you can see in the photo, this will be cut off when dry and hey presto should not need filling and sanding.

Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Panda Models 1/48 F-35B
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
Hi Bridlufc,

That looks good, and a very handy tip about coffee cup lid and Tamiya Thin, I might give that one a go, though I usually use Mr Surfacer 500 or 1000 for hairline gaps.
Cheers
Bigkev.

PS. See that the model has driven you to drink!
I hope my next is always better

bridlufc

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
You could say that Bigkev, mancave + music + a drink + a decent model = bliss!!!!
This technique almost eliminates filling and sanding and its quick and easy

Bridlufc
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:43:22 PM by bridlufc »

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:18:20 PM »
If the gap is rather large you can double up the plastic and then finish off with Mr Surfacer 500 or 1000

Bridlufc

Kiteman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »
Good tip, thank you!

bridlufc

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
Well, eventually here is the finished project.  My modelling has had to take a back seat for the past few weeks due to ill health which I won't bore you with.   The kit itself is nicely detailed and goes together very well but the transfers were a nightmare,  the transfers that came with the kit depicted the A variant prototype and every one of them shattered. I used Microscale Liquid Decal Film to salvage what I could but to no avail. It could have been the age  of the transfers, from 2004, that could have been the problem or the medium they were printed on, which I can only describe as the peel back plastic film on supermarket meat packs, I think you catch my drift!!
You probably won't be able to see the panel lines very well but they were enhanced with Faber and Castell
Pitt pens, the tips come in various sizes and if you make a mistake it can be wiped off with a damp cloth and just redrawn.

Bridlufc
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:40:00 PM by bridlufc »

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
Well Done!, Bridlufc

Goes to show that time is not a factor, its the finished article what counts. a nice looking model, you should be proud of your efforts.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better