Author Topic: Polish Hurricane  (Read 7371 times)

Pen-Pusher

Polish Hurricane
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Decided to follow-on my last 1/72 Hurricane build with a second; but this time Battle of Britain Mk.1. three-blade 'vintage' as opposed to the earlier Mk.1 with the two-bladed Watts prop. Recalling the difficulties I had with the wheel bays, I removed the extensions from the u/c struts beforehand and added them to the bulkhead (photo#1) first (Just noticed I've knocked the ox-bottle askew?) which eases the problem of threading these through very narrow apertures later.

Pen-Pusher

Re: Polish Hurricane
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
Measuring up, the rudder pedals are too far from the seat so these were brought forward by 2 mm (Photo#2).

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
(Photo#3) A word of caution: The pin/hole arrangement for fitting the control column needs drilling out slightly or the pin WILL snap. Firing button on the stick always at 11 o'clock.

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »
Like the attention to detail.
Haddock.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »
How many projects do you have on the go at any one time?  I tend to have 3 and flit between them as bits are drying or when I hit a stumbling block I need to pluck up the courage or confidence to tackle.  That said your builds are much quicker than mine.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi Wizzel,
Like you I have a two or three on the 'go' at any one time but one always seems to get more attention than the others.
As to you Pen-Pusher, I admire your work ethic and production rate. Oh, to be retired..........
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
There is a need for care when fitting the fuselage to the wing. With a complex array of 'spars and bars' needing to be fitted together, it's easy to dislodge the joy-stick so be careful please. Learning from past endeavour I attached only the fore-end of the fuselage and wing to ensure a close fit and little need for filling and sanding..

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:50:05 PM »
Just a little attention to the join lines and a coat of primer to check all is okay. After this I applied liquid glue along the wing fillet and pressed the two major bits together - then more primer. At this stage, the rear fuselage empennage although fitted, isn't glued.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:54:11 PM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:52:15 PM »
Retired.... don't ever retire! Two young arrivals at a neighbour's farm I had to deliver at 4 am this morning... Meet Hurry and Kane!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
I mentioned earlier my decision to 'cut' the extensions from the main u/c legs and fit these lower sections first. Now, after adding the main struts I'm pleased to report this procedure was a success! (Phew!)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
Sadly, although there, a lot of the detail will be obscured by the narrow cockpit and glazing once the model is finished. It was however satisfying to complete.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
Trying out Hataka acrylics this time...first coat dried very quick!!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
Finding these Hataka paints are very smooth for us hairy stick people. When I get to this stage with a model - any model - I can see envisage the finished item in my mind's eye..

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
Found the Polish produced Techmod Decals are 'ultra thin' and do not react well to Microsol products (actually, they don't need them) but their register and detail is quite amazing.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
Looking good.
Grumpy by name and nature