Author Topic: Before the Battle of Britain  (Read 19654 times)

Pen-Pusher

Re: Before the Battle of Britain
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
With most of the painting complete, I've applied the sticky things and applied a couple of coats of matt (Vallejo) varnish. Now at least I can hold the da***d thing while I tackle the small detail....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
Reconstructed engine with new exhaust stubs and supports.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Finally....

bridlufc

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
Are you going to display this at the club meeting? Looking forward to see it if you are.

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2017, 08:13:01 AM »
Back to my long neglected 'Before the Battle of Britain' series of builds. The Me.109 in all its guises has always been a favourite of mine but in truth, there are too many models in 1/72 - let alone all the other scales to be able to list their pluses and minuses here but for this build I've chosen the Academy 1/72 Me.109-E3/4. Not a kit brimming-over with extras but it does have nice surface detail including a reasonable cockpit and alternative prop-hubs (nose cannon - v - no cannon) and glazing. Decals are for one aircraft but more on these later...

I am always suspicious that Academy kits of this era are 'cloned' from other manufacturers but their plastic is good quality and they usually turn out to be a pleasure to build... we'll see?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »
Nice cockpit detail albeit the parts (not a very clear photo - sorry) are quite fiddly...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Dry fit of major components before painting...

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
I do quite like Academy kits - and Heller too.  They are my favourite lower price brands as they have sufficient details and quality to make a lovely kit with not too much effort required.  As for the incestuous relationship between ownership of moulds, rights to releases and all that nonsense, I really don't know how some of you keep up with it all.  I'm just happy to find the time to glue a few bits together regardless of the ancestry.

I do like the 109 so I'll keep an eye on this.  It's going to be good I know that much!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Late last night (Can't blame worries about wrist bands this time) and with sleep eluding, I did a bit more on this. A small amount of cockpit detail and slap the major components together. My first problems were the support struts below the tail planes but finally managed to get some reasonable fit. U/C legs and covers went in like a dream..... Oh what did I say? (Yawn) I need my bed.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
More or less complete, a couple of thin coats of acrylic to get the painting started...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
Gunther Rall's first Me.109 had a lower demarkation line than most, extending beneath the cockpit sill line. This a/c crashed on landing (another pilot) during the first week of the Battle of Britain and never fired a shot in anger. Rall went on to become one of Germany's greatest aces.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:38:41 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
There is some lingering doubt in my mind as to the number of this a/c. In the only B+W photo of the wreck you can clearly see the three and what could possibly be a one(?) - either that, it's a panel crease or something casting a shadow. Gunther favoured number 13 as his 'lucky number' and it was certainly carried (Black 13) on other a/c's including his much publicised Me.109 G2 which he flew in 1941/42. If he were superstitious then in all likelihood his first 'mount' would also carry that number - so be it.

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
Another stage in the pre-Battle of Britain project completed with this Academy 1/72 Me.109. For a kit that's been around for quite some time I'm impressed with the overall fit and found it possible to build relatively free from problems. - Question is, which one next....?

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Dornier 17E/F.  Breathe some life into the old Airfix kit.