Author Topic: Revell IL 86  (Read 2000 times)

bridlufc

Revell IL 86
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
Hi all this is the Revell IL86. It's not a bad kit overall but I sadly lost patience with it when painting commenced and then went downhill from there. It's one of those where do I start situations, I primed with Vallejo white primer which is ok if you want to cover slight scratches and blemishes but beware if used straight from the bottle it also covers panel lines much to my shock and disgust. After painting the livery colours I sealed it with Alclad 2 Klearcote gloss in preparation for applying the transfers, mistake number 2!!! That stuff must take forever to dry/cure. Even after a week or so it's still tacky when handling even with vynil gloves on. On to the transfers and the yellow "cheat line" transfers cover the change of white to blue on the livery but the blue shows through the yellow transfers. On the tailplane my lack of attention to detail resulted in the blue colour being painted too high up which resulted in me having to chop the transfers down to suit.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: Revell IL 86
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
The joys of model making - sometime I wonder why we do it.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
Anyone else had trouble with Alclad 2 Klearcote?

Roger

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
Yes, same problem took ages to dry and collected all sorts of dust and debris while it did so.

bridlufc

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
Hi all, I have finally finished it but I am far from happy with it.  Fair to say, it would benefit from not having the undercarriage exposed as the wheels would never retract into the openings provided by Revell. This model would have been filed under "B" along time ago if it wasn't an Xmas present from my son, the only saving grace were the transfers, they were a pleasure to work with.

Bridlufc