Author Topic: Cleaning resin kits/parts  (Read 1668 times)

bridlufc

Cleaning resin kits/parts
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »
Hi all, what is the best way to clean resin kits/ parts prior to assembly? I understand resin parts have an oily residue from moulding that could possibly affect painting so needs cleaning. Suggestions from certain modelling mags favour the American market, so I am curious as to what is the "English" way.
Any suggestions please?
Regards Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

Re: Cleaning resin kits/parts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
I would suggest ALL plastic and resin kits need a simple wash in warm water with some mild detergent or liquid soap. Wash gently by swirling in water for a few moments, rinse and allow to dry naturally. DO NOT wash decals or instruction sheet!

Haddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
I can only repeat what Pen-pusher just said but with a bit of a scrub with a soft brush before the rinse. I sometimes give stuff a wash with Testors plastic prep but I'm not sure it's any better than soapy water and a good rinse.
Haddock. 

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:11:19 PM »
I generally wash resin parts with lukewarm soapy water and then rinse well. It can be a trail with some of the smaller bits.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Hiya
I use a wipe down with fairy liquid/water and kitchen towel for kits, same solution and a toothbrush for resin parts.  So pretty much the same as the others!!
Cheers
Roger

bridlufc

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
Thanks for that chaps, with the amount of modelling reading material out there it would be easy to get bogged down in what to use and what not to use.

Regards Bridlufc

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:26 PM »
Don't forget to wash them in a bowl - if you do it in the sink, even when attatched to the sprue some small parts come off and go doen the plug hole. AND YES DAVE I DID DO THAT !!!!!!
MSea

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
Really, you surprise me!
Grumpy by name and nature