Author Topic: Painting models the Revell way  (Read 1109 times)

bridlufc

Painting models the Revell way
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
Hi all, over the years I have built several Revell model kits but the most irritating thing about painting them is that to achieve certain colours, according to the instructions, two or more colours have to be mixed to achieve the desired colour. Fair enough, Revell offer the mixing ratios by percentage, but why don't they just manufacture the desired colour within their paint range?

Bridlufc

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Painting models the Revell way
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Hi Bridlufc,

I agree with you somewhat. They now make some beautiful moulded kits, with equally nice decals, yet still have 'their paint' mixes rather than the actual colour EG. 'Medium Sea Grey'

I think they are missing a trick here, they could put the actual/recognised colour on the painting guide, then refer to their mix guide to achieve the colour required if only their paints were available.
That would satisfy the serious modellers, like you and me, but also those who are not particularly bothered as to accuracy to its far limits.

Perhaps they might take notice in time, otherwise it will be down to some checking of references I'm afraid.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
Many decades ago Humbrol, Testor and (I think) Revell all delved into what was loosely termed 'authentic colours'. The most extensive and probably the best at that time was the humbrol range, manufactured as it was in Hull. Unfortunately, these days have gone but authenti-colours are still available though not from  those iconic manufacturers - and usually now for airbrush or acrylic - or both users. Revell obviously push you towards using their branded products as do Tamia and several others. I've recently converted totally to acrylics and companies like Vallejo and AMMO do come up with some authenti-colour sets for particular service or period aircraft/ships/uniforms etc. There are others - and the wiser and more experienced here will no doubt add to my limited knowledge base.

bridlufc

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
I must admit that I cross reference paint guides to find the appropriate colour, I am also leaning towards acrylic paint mainly because of the colour availability and ease of use. Why certain paint manufacturers still persist in producing paint in tinlets is beyond me, they are hard work, wasteful and not fit for purpose. Modelling has really advanced at a great pace regarding the tools and other items at our disposal, shame some of the paint producers haven't caught up.

Bridlufc

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 04:31:30 PM »
My reason for converting to acrylics!! Most enamels are now manufactured in India and Indonesia. There is little quality control and pigmentation and/or colour is rarely consistent. I have some 40 year old Humbrol which is as good as new (if i can get the lids off!!) but for the main part I now use Tamiya and or Vallejo for hairy stick application.