Author Topic: All White Now!  (Read 3203 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
All White Now!
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
Hi All,
Been a little while since I last posted, but now I am starting to tackle the modelling bench once more.

My latest topic requires an gloss white upper surface, so I began to re-think my application of white. I have always used a mix of matt and gloss white enamels, thinned by white spirit thinners and cellulose. I have had good results, but need a few coats to get the final finish.

I have used Halfords Appliance White in the past, but straight from the aerosol, which is okay but a little unmanageable direction and application wise.
One of our members Bridlufc, has used a decanted Appliance White, so I thought I would give it a go.

Using a small Jam jar, I decanted the paint using a straw to direct the paint into the jar. A small hole in the lid helps the gas propellant to escape. Once the paint is decanted, bubbles can be seen rising through the paint, this is the propellant escaping from the paint. I left it for a few hours, then placed a piece of Tamiya tape over the hole to seal the lid.

Next day, I tried out a spraying session on a old fuselage of a helicopter. It had been painted black inside, and unpainted outside. Using an eye dropper I transferred some undiluted paint into my airbrush, and set it to spray at about 15 PSI. A gentle spraying session later I was left with a very even coverage over the out side, and even over the Matt Black. This dried to a touch dry smooth finish after a few hours, but I left it 24
hours to allow it to harden. Apart from some dust particles on the kit surface before I started painting I was very pleased with the effect. A gentle rub over with some 6000 grade polishing cloth removed this, and a second light coat left a flawless finish.................................HAPPY BUNNY!

I needed to clean the airbrush well, using both Spray away and Cellulose thinners to remove all paint, but a small price to pay for a great finish.         

Have a go, it does give great results.
Some pictures attached.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
Re: All White Now!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 07:16:02 AM »
I always keep those little jam pots for storing mixed paint and so on.
Grumpy by name and nature

Roger

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »
Good test there Big Kev.  I tried using decanted Tamiya Aerosol paint on a Lavochkin LA7 a few years ago, using a small pot like you and it also worked a treat.

R

Haddock

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 12:50:24 PM »
Does it smell horrible?

By that I mean would the wife object to the pong?

Haddock.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Do you mean me.......................................? only joking.

The truth is it does smell (pong) more than other paints, I made sure I had plenty of ventilation and wore a mask.

Just tell her, you're wearing Ouder du Halfords.................................

Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
I expected this to be about a song from Free?
Grumpy by name and nature

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
Well done BigKev, another great tip logged for future reference.

Remember that advert years ago, Go to Work on an Egg?  Well one day my neighbour decided to try that and one morning I heard his garage door open then all this cursing and swearing.  I looked out of my window and there he was sat in this big egg in a real bad mood.  "What's wrong?" I shouted.  "The bloody egg won't start!" he replied.  "Try pulling out the yolk and have another go,"  suggested I.  He did and the egg started, "thanks, it worked the egg is all white now" he said with a grin.

I'll get me coat and hand me membership card in on the way out...

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
Oh, those wise guys in Withernsea should be shot!
Amusing story though...........................
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
Don`t egg him on!!