Author Topic: Airfix Folland Gnat - annoyingly attractive!  (Read 1771 times)

Pen-Pusher

Airfix Folland Gnat - annoyingly attractive!
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
The original kit of the Gnat in the Airfix line up has been around for more years than I care to remember. Airfix’s only competitor since was the Matchbox issue in the 70’s but it’s profile never did look right and I always suspected it was too short in the nose? A couple of vac-forms did appear of the single seat version but they were quite poor. I’d always hoped another manufacturer would return to Folland’s little insect and Airfix obliged with a 1/72 new-tool in 2013 and a 1/48 version soon after.

Airfix’s new 1/72 model immediately looks much better, with decent levels of detail, most notably in the cockpit and wheel wells. I strongly recommend that you take a look at this kit if, like me, you like (or love) the type because this is a surprisingly nice model with a respectable level of detail. Three sprues are included (including the clear one) holding all the parts needed to make the model. Some might think the panel line detail is a little heavy for the scale but I find it responds well to the eye and is nicely recessed.

The cockpit has a pair of seats that look quite good, thinly and delicately moulded, albeit simplified versions of the real items but a boon to those who super-detail cockpits. The main instrument panels are addressed using decals for the front and rear panels, which is quite acceptable for this scale in my opinion. The canopy glazing is clear and blemish-free and one of the best I’ve seen for some time. My only disappointment is the fact that it’s not split to allow the possibility of displaying your model with the canopy open. I guess you could carefully cut using a razor saw, but I doubt it’s worth it in this scale as you’d probably need to start adding additional detail too.
Undercarriage looks pretty accurate with wheel wells that are boxed in with moulded detail on the retraction legs and arms. The wheels themselves have neat hub detail that should all paint up well enough.

Two slipper tanks can be fitted under the wings and these look pretty accurate as does the fin and wing attitude. Some very helpful instruction is given on the sheet for the correct angle the undercarriage needs to sit at. Finally, markings are included for an aircraft from the Central Flying School, Royal Air Force Little Rissington, Gloucestershire, England, 1964. All this is topped off with the classic Airfix fold-out sheet with the usual exploded stage-style diagrams.

I would suggest test fitting some of the smaller sub-assemblies – like the undercarriage – because you may be able to add them right at the end once all the painting and weathering is complete, thereby avoiding the risk of damage. All in all, Airfix’'s new Folland Gnat looks pretty good. Much higher quality and detail than you’d usually expect to find on a model in this scale.

All I have to do now is build it!!

Roger

Re: Airfix Folland Gnat - annoyingly attractive!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »
Hi pen pusher.
When you do build this one, watch out for the fit of the cockpit canopy. There is a bit of a clash with the top of the intakes. I saw it mentioned in a couple of reviews and it happened on the one I built with my niece.
Roger