Author Topic: Panzerchiff Graf Spee -Modelling  (Read 6772 times)

Pen-Pusher

Panzerchiff Graf Spee -Modelling
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
After all the promises made each time I look at the stash on the shelves, I finally decided to make a couple of Graf Spee's - one in 1/700 and the other in 1/350. So for the former I chose the Fujimi 'Sea Way' model which is a waterline version and suited to this particular project. First impressions are parts are clean with little flash. Dry fitting is okay but I anticipated and was proved correct that there would be a problem fitting the fore-deck where it meets the main moulding alongside turret A (See photos). Also, each of the secondary armament turrets has a curious 'dimple' which requires filling and sanding off (See photos). 1/700 is a small scale and one I'm not familiar with and with my aged, arthritic fingers and failing eyesight, fitting some of the smaller parts is 'problematic' - but we'll see how it goes? The main tower and funnel are completed with little difficulty though you have to make sure the funnel lower section is the right way up or the searchlight platform requires a hammer and not liquid glue!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:57:13 AM by Pen-Pusher »

Pen-Pusher

Re: Panzerchiff Graf Spee -Modelling
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
Sorry, the kit!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
Secondary armament needs a little filling...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
Dry-fit of major components...

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:52:28 AM »
I'm doing my Graf Spee as a burned out wreck as photographed on December 20th 1939 (the ship was burning for three days prior). It would be easy to just take a hammer to it but I thought i would try to replicate the damage accurately as far as possible; and have spent hours pouring over photographs and reading descriptions. A good bit of what you see (so far) will be obscured - at least in part by water and blackened soot but I'm quite pleased to have got this far without a nervous breakdown....? Not very clear in the photo is the rear of the ship missing. Only the ammunition store for B turret actually exploded blowing off the stern and the barrels from the turret. The torpedo left suspended to blow the forward ammunition store remains suspended on its chains to this very day - albeit covered in 20 feet of mud! The main fire raged through the ship from stern to bridge causing much of the interior to melt and the funnel to topple to starboard. curiously the masts on the tower and funnel survived but these were later removed by scurrilous British RN salvagers along with some radar and range-finding gear. Langsdorff's crew did a very good job of destroying their ship's innards before leaving port on her final voyage.

I'll do some painting before adding the secondary armament and my first attempt at railings using PE stuff! (1/700 railings....? I've been out in the sun too long!!)

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »
Photo:

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
Trial placement on board before finishing the painting and weathering.... water and soot will hopefully conceal a multitude of sins?

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »
As traces of the camoflage will show through when the wreck is seen post-inferno, I thought I better add some at this stage.Note, battle damage to No.1 15 cm gun on port side. There will be more!! Have just trialed some water colour/effects on another board and worried about the final finish likely to be achieved.... oh well?

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
Hi Pen Pusher,
Well that's different. Like Msea's Warspite and interesting subject and display. In fact I didn't know the stern had parted from the pictures commonly seen. Now you model can be seen from different angles I can relate more to the subject.
Keep it up, its coming along nicely.
Cheers,
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
Yes Kev, the stern broke off at the weak-link found in all German warships (Remember Ballard's photographs of the Bismark?) If you look at the photos below you see B turret minus her guns is completely 'lifted' by the blast from her magazine - the same blast that blew everything astern of the turret away. The stern was reported to have floated around for the first day but like its bigger section, soon settled in the mud. I've portrayed it as seen on Dec 19th but the main ship was still burning then so using a bit of historical license, I've left it in for December 20th - the date and condition this model represents. By the 23rd the Spee's decks were awash but she was more level and by mid January only the bridge and top of funnel were visible and the list to starboard had returned. The funnel collapsed entirely on 28 Jan 1940 and the main part of the ship also seems to have broken into two major sections.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »
Hi Pen Pusher
Interesting article, like the historical context you are including.  Will you need to attempt smoke with this model, if so what are you planning?

Cheers
R

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 08:38:02 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Roger. I must admit the result so far (and it's far from finished) resembles a mass of burnt plastic and needs some closer inspection to see it is as accurate as I can make it? Fortunately, as previously mentioned somewhere, the forward ammunition store did not explode as intended so although the ship was 'gutted' by fire and secondary explosions, much of the fwd section remained recognizable!!

Smoke - no! I've never mastered all these quirky uses of cotton wool etc but my wife suggested a joss-stick or two might add some realism (and improve the natural environment of the room) until I explained we did not sit around on cushions, dressed in kafkans, savouring the intoxication of paint and glue! (Despite Dave's obvious addiction?).

Doing this in 1/700 is a bit of a cop-out but I wasn't prepared to sacrifice my Airfix, Heller or Academy large(er) scale models (Nor could I afford the amounts of water needed?) It's all an experiment for me but you shouldn't expect too much excitement when I eventually bring it in.... if ever!

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
This is a bit 'trial 'n' error' for me but I thought a base coat advisable before doing the sea-colour and oil slick? I'll be attempting some PE railings before fixing the ship to the base? it's coming on....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 02:43:35 PM »
Trialling oil-slick and mud....

Pen-Pusher

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
My first attempt at water is underway!!? There is only one colour photo of the wreck of the Spee I can find, and that was taken by an American sailor in April 1940 - but at least it gives me some guidance for what the sea may have looked like on the day? mud and oil - well there's just mud and oil! Anyway, recalling MSea's excellent presentation on 'colour and colour perception' - it's all in the mind of the beholder anyway. Tonight, first coat of realistic water and tomorrow maybe some texturing. Sadly the 1/700 railings ordered from China seem to have gone 'adrift' so we may never see them on this particular model.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:37:44 AM by Pen-Pusher »