Author Topic: Slapton Sands - one for the AFV fans  (Read 1552 times)

Roger

Slapton Sands - one for the AFV fans
« on: May 02, 2016, 07:55:33 PM »
Not much modelling lately, too busy exploring the West Country on my bike.  However I saw this and thought I would share it with you.
The vehicle is a Sherman DD that was recovered after sinking on a training exercise at Slapton Sands in the run up to D Day. It then spent 65 years under sea water before being dragged out - apparently the running gear still turned as it was pulled out.  This lengthy immersion accounts for the unusual surface texture!  In the picture of the rear of the tank you can see part of the drive to the twin rear propellors that pushed the tank through the water.

Once back from my trip I finished the display case for my Uncle's Javelin.  I think the base turned out rather well, putting my earlier efforts to shame, so I might have to redo some of the old ones before Telford.  Paint was all tamiya acrylics, tar lines were Pentel 0.1 and 0.3. Grass was polyfilla painted brown followed by some scatter stuff fixed with PVA and then hairspray.

Cheers for now
R

Roger

Re: Slapton Sands - one for the AFV fans
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
And this is the finished display case - btw it is the one I bought at Huddersfield.