Author Topic: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172  (Read 14853 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 1/72
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
Hi All,

Well a little more progress has been achieved. I have managed to spray the undersides a Tamiya mix of Medium Sea Grey and White roughly 50%/50% to give a key to the silver undersides. The nature of the subject means that I will need to add the engine/pylon after the top surfaces have been painted then a re-touch of paint work before Aluminium is applied to the under surfaces. These can be seen masked with Tamiya tape and paper. I like to use thin strips of tape supplemented with ordinary white photocopier paper, to cover areas I want to mask, especially wing and fuselage undersides.

I have used Xtracolour X254 Basaltgrau for the grey, as it has a nice glossy finish which helps later on in build. I tend to warm my Oil based paints in a small amount of hot water for a few mins. I find they tend to spray more smoothly as a result.
When spraying I use a 30%/20% mix of Cellulose and White Spirit with 50% paint. The Cellulose tends to evaporate quickly after passing through the airbrush but aids the paints spraying by thinning the paint better to enable a smoother finish. I find two thin coats are required for a good finish, allowing about 24 hours between coats. Once happy a further 48 hours will be needed before the next colour is applied.
Whilst airbrush was out took time to spray the propeller tips yellow, and when dry mask them off with small strips of Tamiya tape cut to correct width. This enable all tips to be same.

Pictures of work follow:-

Bigkev   

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:27:50 PM by Bigkev »
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

Re: Bigkev's WIP No.9 Matchbox Dornier Do-28 Skyservant 172
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
Looking amazing as always with your work!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
Are those suction vices you have stuck to a lazy susan?  I tried one of those but the blasted thing never seemed to hold down for very long - don't know if it was just a bad design but I've lost confidence in them altogether!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Well Spotted Wizzel,

Your are right, it is a Lazy Susan, costing £1.00 at the car boot, and two Suction type vices which don't work (suction wise) on any surface. However the jaws are great to hold pieces in, in this case the engine nacelles ready for painting.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
Hi All,

Well I'm now on with the camouflage painting. To make the disruptive scheme I have used Blu-Tack 'worms' to mark out the Grey and Green areas. I normally fill in between the worms with Tamiya tape to cover the grey areas. I started, but then thought I would try using Maskol instead. Here you can see my 'painted in' Maskol liquid in between the worms. This will dry a dark purple colour and stop the green paint in these places. The 'worms' will help to give a slightly feathered edge to the green. However I do take the point that some people views in 1/72 these are not really seen, but my view is it 'adds' to the subject more than a hard edge that would be depicted in 1/72 scale. 

Next will be the green..........................

Some pictures follow.
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
....and how do you remove the Maskol? I have the stuff but have not yet used it....don`t know enough about it.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 04:58:04 PM »
Hi Kiteman,

Its a rubber type compound, and will just peel away when ready. You can encourage it to come away from the more difficult places by using some Tamiya tape wrapped around your finger tacky side out and dabbing it on the Maskol.

Spraying the 'Green' tonight, wish me luck.

Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »
Good luck!
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
Hi Zak,
Thanks for that. I have now completed the first coat of green. I used Xtracolour 'X-18 Nato Green' the same as I used on the Skyservant to keep both airframes the same.

I have also sprayed the propellers in a pale grey ready for the de-icing sections on the blades.

I will probably need another coat of 'Green' to ensure even coverage. Hey Ho!

Some Pictures follow:-
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 08:49:37 PM »
Hi All,

Another coat of green added. The props have had the masking removed from the tips and the props given a coat of 'Kleer'
Also the Wheel hubs and tail wheel strut, wheel hub have been painted in Aluminium ready for the tyres being painted.
Tomorrow, I shall remove the masking from the camouflage colours to see how it looks.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Ta Dah!!

Masking removed, and apart from a couple of paint blemishes with the grey I think it looks okay. The blemishes can be easily touched in once the silver undersides have been applied.
A small portion of masking on the canopy was removed whilst removing masking material (Maskol/Blu-Tack) so will need re-applying before any more painting done.
The remains of the Blu-tack worms and Maskol can be seen in one of the photos, though it will need to be thrown away now, it still has been an easy and cheap option to mask the camouflage.

Pictures of progress to date:-
Bigkev   

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi All,
Well a little more progress has been made, and the masking has been removed from the undersides revealing the Pale Grey (the base coat for the Silver). A small amount of peeling occurred near the tail, though nothing that cannot be repaired easily by a little sanding a re touching in of the paint before the Silver is applied.
Also I took this point to also reveal the Day-Glo Orange and all is well on that front.

You can also see where the Dark Grey upper surface needs attention, this again a case of gentle sanding followed by a retouch.

The engine pods will be attached after the silver paint has been applied and then the joints attended to. A little repaint will then be required to make good.

Some pictures of the above:-

Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Stick at it Kev, ...and thank you for such detail of your WIP, warts an all. Not all modellers would do that! From you people like me learn a lot!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
Hi Kiteman,

Thanks for that, a few more 'warts' appeared which I will redress. Just sprayed the silver and all looks good on that front.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi All,

Well a little progress update. The masking revealed some problems with the Grey but also the Green had a few issues. I knew that once I had the 'pods attached I could redress these, that was the plan.

I masked the de-icing boots from the tail, tailplane and wings in preparation for the black, also the 'pods' were masked around the exhaust area.

Once the black had been sprayed on the masking was removed to a mix of achievement and despair. Some of the grey paint had lifted again, and the masking around/in the windows revealed the base plastic. Also some of the black de-icing panels lifted too, a GRRRR moment!

I decided before I attached the pods to redress these problems. Using a low pressure and thin paint mix I was able to spray and touch in the damaged area's, in the appropriate colours and make good, though a few very small bits will need a fine brush to make good.

Here is the progress to date in pictures.

Bigkev