Author Topic: What am I building now?  (Read 65136 times)

Kiteman

Re: What am I building now?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2015, 05:54:53 PM »
We shall see won`t we. As I said, eventually one of you will say...it is a .......
Waddayasay Wizzel?

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
I'm not quite ready yet to say "IT IS A..." but what I am seeing is still supporting my Firefly theory.  The wheel well shapes suggest wide track undercart (which the firefly has) and the small hole for the pilot is about Firefly size (if you can imagine the front part of a Spitfire canopy - the windscreen and the bubble only), then that bit of solid fuselage before the straight topped glazing for the wife in the back seat of the Firefly and them exhausts too!  So, those are my thoughts.  I will sleep on it and commit or not in the morning.

Jolly good.

Kiteman

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
here a bit more from MM3. On this bit (1st Photo) I have to stick the mechanism for braking the thing when it lands on an aircraft carrier.....whatever it is officially called. I have got the wing roots off pretty well....thanks to Kev and Co my modelling is improving. The air intakes need tidying though.
So.....what is it??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
It IS a Fairey Firefly!  It could, at a pinch, have been a Fairey Fulmar and had I remembered about that aircraft earlier, I would have been juggling between them both, but that wing gives it away.  The little sticky out bit on the trailing edge was not, to my knowledge, present on the Fulmar and the air intakes on the front are definitely FIREFLY-ISH.  So that is me committed.  You can either confirm, deny or say nowt and continue to tease but I will now retire, having made my firm choice.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »
Wizzel,
I am in your gang, I definitely think it is a Firefly. All your observations are correct for a Firefly.
Right Kiteman, its your turn...........................
Bigkev
I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Well done to you both, correct (said in a voice like Magnuss Magnusson), it is a Fairey Firefly. Here are a couple of pics of the whole thing just so that you can say......see, I told you! More pictures of further progress to come.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
A nice looking aircraft in itself and a good job made of the build so far.  I always liked this aircraft but haven't got one in my stash yet so I may have to keep my eyes open.  What make of model is it?

Kiteman

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
This Version is from AZ Models...not too good but we are modelers aren`t we.

By the way, the scores on the doors for mystery model recognition: Kev 2, Wizzel 1, Zak 1 (out of sympathy,) rest of the world 0, 

Kiteman

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:02 AM »
So here some shots of the almost finished but not well Firefly. Think of it what you will.
On with the next one, mystery model 4. So my expert friends what is your stab on these bits and Bobs??

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
Another aircraft, with a rear turret?
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
Maybe!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
Hi Kiteman,
It is a North American B-25 Mitchell.
Looking at the parts possibly a G or H.
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
By èck Kev, there´s no limit to your spotter ability is there. How the hell you got that from what could have been many options of aircraft I will never know. Well done, you deserve a medal.
Scores on the doors: Kev 3, Wizzel 1, Zak 2 (he knew that it was an aircraft after all) rest of the world 0

Comments on the firefly, good or critical please-

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2015, 07:20:23 AM »
Hi Kiteman,

Re- your Firefly, a very nice build. I was a bit intrigued to see the camouflage of what I see as Dark Grey/Green/Brown upper surfaces, with possibly Sky underneath.
Was the top scheme a temporary over paint of dark grey/green on the real thing for use in the Asian theatre of Operations?
A good build, much quicker than mine I have to say. Keep them coming
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
Well, although I haven't had time to log on in the last few days, it looks like Kev has beaten me to it again.  Once again you chose some very unique parts - them cowlings with the bulges for the cylinders, the nose gun pack and that Bendix mid upper turret are all very USAAF and the cowlings in particular are, as far as I know, are unique to the B25 when the other bits are taken into account.

What hasn't been established yet is what variant so although you have given the prize to Kev, may I suggest a bonus prize for the correct variant?  Do a bit of research on the different types so you don't give it away too early.