Author Topic: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48  (Read 29357 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
Okay, Phase two of Operation repair.
The plastic replacement has been sanded to shape, and the curvature addressed. I then applied Mr Surfacer 500 to both the tailplane joint and replacement part. When dry I rubbed these down and was happy with the repair except that there was a niggling join seam on the wing to tailplane still visible. So I used some Green Stuff body putty to this and again when dry sanded. This seemed to do the trick.
Next it was out with the Tamiya grey to undercoat the areas of work. I was not too worried about neatness here, as I was looking for uniform finish in the parts worked on and a good smooth finish to apply colour to.
Then I mixed the pale blue from Tamiya white and blue, but made it just a fraction paler than the finish already on. The reason is using Kleer had deepened the colour slightly so I wanted to try and match the blue as near as possible, once a fresh coat of Kleer was applied to the repair area's.
Again I was not too worried about neatness, as the Green upper surface will be strong enough to cover any overspray. What will need to be done is a masking job on the blue under surfaces, to ensure the demarcation lines match the existing paintwork.
Some pictures of work done.
Bigkev   

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hope my next is always better

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
Only we will know what you have done, pity it is on the web, everyone knows now.
Well done Kevin and what patience you have.
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
master work...I am jealous.

kiwichappers

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
A thoroughly competent repair which I would have no trouble certifying as airworthy for combat.

On another matter raised way back on page 3hree by Kiteman.
Of course small pieces be they whatever material, but particularly etch will fly off into the wild blue yonder when handled with tweezers as they require tension to hold the piece. Much better to get a pot of tacky wax and apply a small dab to a cocktail stick, piece of sprue or whatever takes your fancy then use the adhesion of the wax to maneuver the part into place. The adhesion of the wax is weaker than glue so does not drag as you remove the waxed holder. With no tension there  is no potential energy to launch delicate bits into the ether. It takes a little time to master but the worst that can happen during the apprenticeship is the wayward part will drop onto your work bench and wait for the next attempt.

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
Lovely repair job and also a lesson on how to do it.  Will you need to add that slight raised 'rib' too on the end of the tailplane?  I noticed there's one just outside the outer hinge on the starboard tailplane.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
Wax eh?  Thanks Kiwi, I'll give that a try.  Not lost any parts yet but I haven't ventured into the world of etched brass much as all the bits I've used so far have been large enough to to cause me any problems.  I shall practice with those big bits.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »
Hi All,
What Kiwichappers says is true. However My, 'event' was self induced by clumpy fingers and not paying attention.
I have some 'sticky' pencils I got from Telford which I sometimes use to pick up the very small delicate bits. Same principle as Tacky Wax or similar.
Anyway onto 'Operation Repair'...................
I have now masked off the underside using paper, Tamiya tape, and Blu-Tack. I sprayed Humbrol 117 onto the area's I needed to repaint. As can be seen, the paint appears to be lighter and 'Matt' to the current finish. This was expected as the previous paint job had been 'Kleered'. Once the paint is dry I will 'Kleer' the repainted area again and hopefully there should be no difference, and all will blend in seamlessly.
Tune in next time, all will be revealed, until then some pics.
Bigkev 

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »
Nothing like blending in seamlessly.
Grumpy by name and nature

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »
Great thing about it, is no one knows your there..................................

Unless I tap on your shoulder!
Bigkev

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
See if it were me, I'd have hacked at the tailplane with a scalpel, smudged a bit of aluminium paint on and called it battle damage - broken part sorted in 2 minutes.  NOW if it happens, I know exactly what I SHOULD do - and will do too.  Again, thanks for the inspiration to 'model' rather than 'assemble'.

Kiteman

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:49 AM »
amazing....just amazing!

Haddock

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »
Pleased I don't have to do this to a ship.........yet.
Haddock.
Hope I'm not tempting fate.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »
Hi Haddock,

With your skill, I find it unlikely that you will suffer my fate. However if you have awoken that 'Gremlin' I know you will be able to subdue him, and put him back into his box.

Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
Hi All,
Well I have now managed to apply 'Kleer' to the aircraft. I used 4 or 5 thin coats over a couple of days. The idea is to build up a nice gloss finish, ready for decaling. The repainted areas now match both colour and finish.
Also I have applied Alclad II 'White Aluminium' and 'Steel' mixed about 2 to 1, to give a nice metallic to the propeller.
Next job to apply natural metal band to cowling, and paint the exhausts.
Some pictures to show progress.
Bigkev

Kiteman

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
That is looking really good. Well done on the repair, a lesson for all of us.
 Thanks Kiwi for the tip on handling etched brass, I will use that method....never heard of it before. That is exactly what this Website is all about, helping each other to get better and better.