Author Topic: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48  (Read 29331 times)

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bigkevs WIP No. 7 Polikarpov I-16 type 18 'Rata' 1/48
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 06:47:53 PM »
Yep, Roll on retirement!
Only another 11 years to go.......................................

However, being off has given me an impetus/ spur to my building. Tonight I will be doing more work on the 'Rata'.
Might even be ready for paint by weekend, now that would be quick for me.
However back to work today, so won't have as much time as last week, but here goes...........
Cheers,
Bigkev
Well done, Sir Haddock, what a good bloke you are!

This is really quick work Kevin, see what you can do when work doesn't get in the way.

I hope my next is always better

Kiteman

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
Haddock, you are a gentelman sir, please let me know what I owe you for the clamps...I am very exited, like a small boy in a model shop!

Wizzel

• Someday, you'll all be like me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 02:24:02 PM »
I've a few things to settle up with Haddock for anyhow so I'll see him right for the clamps.

Nice kit Kevin.  I always liked the Russian stuff - it always looked very business like - and I'm getting more good tips on putting things together properly.  Cheers.

Kiteman

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Can you remember being a small boy in a model shop? Dusty boxes `n all!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
Hi All,

Well now the model is beginning to take shape. but I found that the tailplanes were a poor fit, requiring some filler. In this case because of the depth of filler required in places, Milliput was the filler of choice. It was allowed to dry rock hard overnight, and then gently sanded with wet and dry, using plenty of soap and water.
Some Pictures of model attached:-
Bigkev

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
I was wondering if you have a formula to decide how to use a particular filler for a particular job?  I have a tube of Squadron Green Putty which I am intending to use for all filling jobs but is there better fillers for certain things or is it personal choice?

Kiteman

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:16 AM »
That seems like an awful lot of Milliput! I will be interested to see piccies of the sanded down Version. Watching your work is a worthwile learning experience. Thanks for the piccies!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 06:47:08 AM »
Hi All,
Little more progress with this one. The Milliput has been sanded down, and then an application of Mr Surfacer 500 applied. This was then again rubbed down to give a good final finish to the joints.
Note to Kiteman, yes it seemed a lot of filler, but the tailplanes were deeper than the stubs to attach to so the Milliput was to build them up)
I use differing types of filler to cope with various issues. Milliput for deep or strength, Greenstuff for quick fix, Mr Surfacer 500 or 1000 for final finish on joints where either of other two used.
Tailplanes now attached, wing guns in place, headrest made and in place, hole for aerial drilled ready in fuselage spine, tail wheel added, Cockpit canopy dipped a couple of times in 'Kleer' to give better clarity.
Airframe now ready to paint...........................Yippee!
Pictures of the above:-
Bigkev 

Kiteman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
All becomes clear. Thank you very much for your detailed explanations on what and why you do what you do. For the relatively inexperienced and incompetent modeller like me, these entries from you and the guys are better than any book that money can buy. It`s the best practical teaching in building models that one can get....and all for 1 Pound a month...it`s a steal! Thank you once again and keep it coming!

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
Hi All,

Well painting has now started.

First of all I masked the cockpit and engine openings with damp tissue paper and pushed this into the openings. It can be removed later easily by re applying water and then removed with tweezers.

I have primed all the parts and the airframe with Tamiya Surface primer from a rattle can. the secret here is to spray evenly with light passes and then allowing the paint to dry for at least 24 hours. I then donned a rubber glove to prevent my greasy fingerprints spoiling the paint job, and lightly rubbed the airframe and other parts with a 6000 grit polishing cloth. This effectively smooth's the surface ready for colour. It also highlights any areas still needing attention. Luckily this time there weren't any.
Next time it will be time to apply colour.
Bigkev

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:59 PM »
Next instalment...................

I decided to prime the undersides with Tamiya Flat White, as the pale blue may have been harder to achieve over the grey primer.
This sprays very well, I use a ratio of 1 part paint to 2 parts thinner sprayed at a fairly low pressure, key here though is to use three or four thin coats, and when happy with coverage to be allowed to dry fully for 24 hours before rubbing down with 6000 grade polishing cloth.
The blue will be next................................
Bigkev

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »
Excellent work.
Grumpy by name and nature

Haddock

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
Hi All,

Well painting has now started.

First of all I masked the cockpit and engine openings with damp tissue paper and pushed this into the openings. It can be removed later easily by re applying water and then removed with tweezers.

I have primed all the parts and the airframe with Tamiya Surface primer from a rattle can. the secret here is to spray evenly with light passes and then allowing the paint to dry for at least 24 hours. I then donned a rubber glove to prevent my greasy fingerprints spoiling the paint job, and lightly rubbed the airframe and other parts with a 6000 grit polishing cloth. This effectively smooth's the surface ready for colour. It also highlights any areas still needing attention. Luckily this time there weren't any.
Next time it will be time to apply colour.
Bigkev
Question, do you apply the primer straight from the rattle-can or do you decant it into a container and then into the airbrush?
Haddock.

Wizzel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
Cheers for the words on filling.  I am tentatively putting this into practice and finding that being brave pays off.  My joints are starting to improve and I am also now using primer when I think they are perfect.  The primer shows me what my eye doesn't!  I'm learning the value of taking my time and being patient.  The eagerness to see the completed kit is now less of a priority for me, thanks for explaining how you do things, it's helped a great deal.

Bigkev

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Hi Haddock,
I used the Tamiya Primer straight from the can. A few gentle passes was enough remembering to spray before subject and stopping after passing.
I think it may be more appropriate to decant for your subjects though, as there is little control with a spray can where delicacy is needed.
For 'Clumpy' here, it worked for me...............................this time
Bigkev

And Wizzel, glad your filling has improved and finishing technique, keep it up!