Author Topic: HMS Montrose  (Read 13344 times)

Haddock

Re: HMS Montrose
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
Bit of paint sloshed on, anchor chains and stoppers added.
Haddock.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Haddock

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
           I'm developing a love-hate relationship wit Trumpeter. The plastic on this kit is beautiful, the brass is revolting.That really doesn't matter because the brass from Peter Hall is as you would expect from him and very comprehensive, you can use it on most ships in the class with a bit of research, and, with a little effort, it fits.
             It has been mentioned by some well known ship modelers that this kit is actually a re-issue of HMS Kent with a different set of markings to convert to HMS Montrose but the gun turret on the fore-deck and the two 30 mm guns are incorrect for HMS Montrose, there are other minor errors, but are easy to correct.
             According to the experts, the main turret should be the "Kryten" type due to it's shape resembling a well known robot on some sci-fi program, the turret is a GRP moulding. The kit offering looks more like a jelly-bean, which is correct for the early fit on some ships.The 30 mm guns should be remote controlled not the manual versions as depicted in the kit.
              I've spent hours looking for images of the turret that are suitable for me to produce a scratch-built item without much luck, plenty of pictures but not big enough to use. Deep gloom.
             I Googled "Kryten gun"to see if a resin version was available, visited a Chinese or Japanese website and lo and behold, a picture of HMS Montrose with a "jelly bean" on the fore-deck. Come back Trumpeter, all is forgiven. I can cope with the other stuff.
            Here's some pics to show the difference.
Happy Haddock   

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:31:53 PM by Haddock »

Haddock

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
Starting to look a bit like a Type 23. Lots more to add yet.
Haddock.

MSea

• I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't do that
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
Why do your ships look like ships, and my ships look like bits of plastic that have seen better days ??????????????
MSea

Haddock

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
Optical  illusion!!

Kiteman

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »
where`s the jelly bean??

Haddock

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:02 AM »
Not finished yet. The four inch plastic gun refuses to look straight so I'm going to attempt to scratch-build one out of brass tube. It's 0.6 mm dia with some sleeves on it in strategic places, you will know what I mean.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »
If your gun wont look straight, get it some glasses! Is it plastic or resin?

Haddock

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
Plastic.

Kiteman

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
chuck it and build one out of brass.......ist worth it, but you allready know that.

Haddock

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »
where`s the jelly bean??
Just for Terry, here,s the jelly-bean, as you can see , the gun is very fragile, the bend is only noticeable from above so brass it will have to be. The plastic will probably get broken off some time in the future cos I'm a bit ham-fisted.
Haddock.
Compare it with the earlier pics of the Kryten turret.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:14:42 PM by Haddock »

Kiteman

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »
you`re right, it is a jelly bean.....is it supposed to be a kryton turret?

Haddock

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
It could be either, it depends on what time in her career you happen to be modelling. If you look back to my post on the 21st July, it probably explains it all.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
Understood, but you will have to take your sanding sticks to this turret before it resembles a Kryton.......needs facets.

Haddock

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
It's not going to have the Kryten, there are enough parts in the kit and a bit of fiddling to create the early version, more or less as built.
Haddock.