Author Topic: Paint pooling  (Read 2381 times)

Kiteman

Paint pooling
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »
I have a Problem with paint "pooling" on certain models. Whether brushed or sprayed the paint doesn`t want to adhere to the plastic and seperates into little spots. No amount of pre washing has changed anything and this even happens with undercoat. Has anyone an idea other than applying the paint thickly as that is the only way I can get it to stick but it looks s?%t.

Haddock

Re: Paint pooling
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
If you are using acrylic paint, it could be that the surface you are applying the paint to is too " slick ",
you could try giving the model a rub with a very fine abrasive just enough to give it a " tooth ".
The problem should disappear if you airbrush the primer instead of brush painting.
Haddock.

Kiteman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
thanks, will give it a go.

Haddock

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
Things to think about.
     I've had the same problem when brush painting and got round it by "scrubbing" the paint on with the brush, with a bit of patience, it seems to work.
     If you have the same problem and it solve with airbrushing, it's quite likely that the paint won't be stuck to the plastic as well as you would like so any masking tape applied on top could probably pull the paint off that you have so carefully applied.
     Right now, I'm trying a few drops of Windsor and Newton Artists acrylic flow improver, it could be my imagination, but I think it's working.I have a better surface finish with both brush and airbrush which means a coat of gloss varnish provides a better surface for pin washes. Trumpeter plastic is a bit "pebbly" so you need something with self levelling properties which quick drying acrylics don't have.
      Good luck.
Haddock.

zak

• Grumpy by name and nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
I have found similar problems and always prime my surfaces first to avoid this problem.
The Vallejo acrylics are described as self levelling?
Even with priming I find the finish quite soft and easily marked or lifted.
Bring back the days when the only option was enamels, by gum they stuck to owt.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:01:19 AM by zak »
Grumpy by name and nature

Kiteman

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:27:09 PM »
thanks for the advice. I`ve experimented on a scap Piece of the offending plastic and even after I have "roughened" the surface with scotchbrite the paint sticks better but still pools. The surface is thoroughly washed and degreased with surgical Spirit and to be honest I dont know what more I can do!

Haddock

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Found something on You-tube a while ago where a chap sprayed Vallejo primer mixed 50/50 with Vallejo airbrush thinner, it was like water. He built the colour up slowly then, before the primer was dry, he gave it a good coat of Johnsons, when dry, you could sand it and it didn't peel off like it usually does and gave a nice feather edge.
The best primer I have used is the Tamiya stuff in a rattle can, brilliant,trouble is the smell lingers for about three days so you have to do it outside. I did something over a year ago using the wheelie bin as a bench. It's still stuck to the bin!
It gives a very hard, smooth finish. I have to ask myself why I don't use it all the time.
Haddock